Bayhealth explores the history of major expansion, renovation projects at Milford Memorial

Since Milford Memorial Hospital opened with 100 beds in 1938, the hospital and the campus it sits on have undergone numerous renovations and expansions. Here’s a look at some of the most significant.

1953—Construction of the Grier Building, which is named in honor of Dr. G. Layton Grier, is completed and becomes the new home of the Nursing School

1954—A four-story addition to the hospital is completed and dedicated, accommodating the Pediatrics Unit and Operating Rooms

1969—A new wing featuring Electrocardiography facilities, a Radiation Lab, Physical Therapy, Inhalation Therapy, Central Services, a Pharmacy, and a new Emergency Room is completed

1972—A modernized Operating Room Suite, a Coronary Care Unit, and an Intensive Care Unit are added as part of renovations to the third and fourth floors of the hospital

1974—The Medical Arts Building is built, containing 12 medical offices

1985—The new “Burton-Fischer Wing” is completed and dedicated, and includes:

  • a new main lobby and gift shop
  • a new Emergency Room with improved patient privacy and space
  • a modernized lab with cutting-edge equipment
  • an expanded Physical Therapy department

1991—A new Outpatient Services and Surgical Center—the first of its kind in southern Delaware to offer comprehensive outpatient services in one location, including basic laboratory testing, radiology, electrocardiograms, and outpatient surgery—is completed and dedicated

1992–1993—The “Phase III construction project” is completed and includes:

  • remodeled space for a new Critical Care Unit
  • enlarged waiting area for the Emergency Department
  • a new Maternity Suite with LDRP (Labor, Delivery, Recovery, Post-Partum) rooms
  • relocated Inpatient Pharmacy
  • renovated patient rooms

1993—A new two-story Regional Rehabilitation Center featuring a comprehensive Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit, as well as outpatient Physical and Occupational Therapy and Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, is completed and opens

2000–2001—An expansion project that creates a new main entrance to the hospital and adds a pavilion with conference rooms is completed

2002—A new 12,000-square foot Cancer Center opens

2004—Construction that enlarges the Emergency and Trauma Services department and enhances the Diagnostic Imaging area is completed

2006—The new Total Joint Center, which was designed and built to provide care to patients recovering from joint replacement surgery, opens

2016—The groundbreaking ceremony to commemorate the start of construction on the Bayhealth Sussex Campus is held.

The new Bayhealth Hospital and Outpatient Center, Sussex Campus were designed with the future in mind. As a result, the architects put together an expansion plan for both the hospital and outpatient center. In fact, the lobby of the new hospital was even designed to support a larger hospital one day, if it becomes necessary.

Visit BayhealthSussex.org to learn more about the history of Bayhealth Milford Memorial and the new Bayhealth Sussex Campus that is scheduled to open in early 2019.

Reach the Delaware State News newsroom at newsroom@newszap.com

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment