Accused murderer rejects plea deal

DOVER — Facing the possibility of 19 years to life in prison, a 20-year-old Lincoln man rejected a plea offer in a 2018 murder case Wednesday morning.

Ahmir Bailey stood before the Court and asked to discuss the offer with his attorneys, left the room with Department of Correction officers and then opted to decline the offer within 45 minutes or less. The trial is scheduled to begin with jury selection on Sept. 24.

According to Dover Police, Jameir Vann-Robinson, 20, of Smyrna, died from a gunshot wound to the back on May 13 of last year in the unit block of Mitscher Road in Dover. He was exiting a house party at around 2 a.m. when a verbal confrontation led to multiple shots fired, authorities said.
Mr. Vann-Robinson was transported to Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital in Dover, where he died shortly after arrival.
During Wednesday’s Superior Court hearing, Resident Judge William L. Witham Jr. cautioned Mr. Bailey to weigh the risks and rewards of the plea while stressing that he was not offering advice on what to do. The defendant — being held by the DOC — then chose to speak further with attorneys Andre’ M. Beauregard and Zachary A. George.

“You’re a young person facing the potential of life in prison,” the judge said.
According to police at the time, Mr. Bailey and Eugene Riley, 18, of Milford allegedly shoplifted boxes of handgun ammunition in Dick’s Sporting Goods on May 11. The men were taken into custody and a search warrant at a Cubbage Pond Road residence in Lincoln yielded a loaded .40 caliber handgun, a box of 9mm ammunition, and a loaded 9mm magazine.

Police found that the handgun was reported stolen during a May 10, 2018 burglary.

Mr. Bailey and Mr. Riley were taken into custody without incident on May 14, 2018 during a traffic stop. Mr. Riley’s case is proceeding separately.

Mr. Bailey was indicted on two first-degree murder counts, along with various firearm and ammunition possession charges, person prohibited, second-degree burglary, theft of firearm and shoplifting charges. The judge said conviction on all counts could bring life or up to 342 years in prison.
Deputy Attorney General Gregory R. Babowal is prosecuting the case.

Reach the Delaware State News newsroom at newsroom@newszap.com

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment