Charges against Salters dropped

DOVER — Prosecutors recently dropped charges against former Dover City Councilman Reuben Salters that stemmed from a June incident when he hit a man with his car.

Mr. Salters, who was charged with third-degree vehicular assault and failure to obey a traffic control device, reached an agreement with the victim to pay his medical bills and lost wages.

The Department of Justice said the individual did not wish to pursue the case further, prompting prosecutors to drop the case once the deal was reached.

The agreement was reached preliminarily Dec. 3 and signed Tuesday. Such a conclusion is unusual, according to the Department of Justice.

The outcome means Mr. Salters will pay at least $1,080 to the victim and have his driving privileges reviewed by the Division of Motor Vehicles.

The former councilman also must maintain auto insurance until at least June of 2021.

A spokesman for the Department of Transportation declined comment Thursday, as did Mr. Salters’ lawyer, state Rep. Sean Lynn.

Should Mr. Salters fail to meet the conditions of the deal, the charges could be filed again.

“Once the terms of this agreement have been fulfilled, and restitution has been paid in full, the parties agree” the issue will be considered completely resolved, it states in part.

Mr. Salters, the founder of the Inner City Cultural League, was arrested June 1 after striking a man with his truck at a gay pride festival in Dover. Authorities said at the time the incident was not considered a hate crime.

The Dover Police Department said the episode occurred in the area of West Street and Forest Street, which had been blocked off for the parade. Mr. Salters, 90 at the time, was driving by that morning when he stopped, exited his truck and moved several barrels to clear the road, police said.

After he was informed by the event organizer the area was closed to cars for the time being, Mr. Salters got back into his vehicle and accelerated despite the large crowd nearby, according to authorities. His truck struck the organizer, knocking him down and injuring his legs, police said.

Mr. Salters then allegedly continued forward through the crowd before stopping.

He was arrested and released on his own recognizance. Third-degree vehicular assault is a Class B misdemeanor, which carries a maximum sentence of up to six months in jail.

According to Court of Common Pleas records, Mr. Salters rejected two plea deals in September. A previously scheduled trial was pushed back in July to allow for a case review, but an attempt at mediation was unsuccessful when the victim could not be reached, according to information from the court.

The two sides held a case review last week.

When Mr. Salters stepped down from City Council in 2011 after 22 years on the body, only four members had ever served longer.

Facebook Comment