Clayton Police chief resigns, pleads guilty to 1st offense DUI

DOVER — A former northern Kent County police chief withdrew his not guilty plea Monday morning and admitted to a first offense DUI of alcohol infraction in the Court of Common Pleas.

Brian C. Hill, 48, of Dover, also resigned as chief of the Clayton Police Department on Friday.

According to Clayton Mayor David Letterman, Hill submitted a resignation letter on Friday that was accepted.

“As far as the town is concerned that’s the end of it,” the mayor said. “He’s no longer employed. It was a regrettable situation and I’m sorry for what happened but a conclusion had to come some day and I’m glad that it’s here.”

Mr. Hill was charged after Delaware State Police responded to a late night traffic incident near Clayton on Aug. 12, 2017. The then-chief’s vehicle was found disabled on railroad tracks around 10 p.m. and an investigation ensued.

The chief was traveling alone at the time in a 1998 Porsche Boxter, according to testimony and court documents.

Brian C. Hill

On Monday Hill answered “Yes, mam” when Judge Anne Hartnett Reigle asked if he was prepared to plead guilty to the misdemeanor offense.

He said he had discussed his options fully with attorney James E. Liguori, who acknowledged to the judge that any appeal of the case would be no longer available after the plea was accepted.

The court ordered one year of Level I probation and a class to be completed. Court costs were struck, but Hill was liable for some fees that his attorney said he was prepared to pay immediately.

Deputy Attorney General John W. Donahue said a improper lane change charge would not be prosecuted further.

Mr. Donahue asked about the court ordering a loss of driver’s license, but Judge Reigle said she didn’t typically order that and referred to the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles.

According to the DMV online, a first offense DUI conviction results in a two month loss of license.

Hill had rejected a plea offer on Nov. 29, 2017. A trial was scheduled for Jan. 29, 2018, and continued until April 9.

The defense filed a motion to suppress on April 18, Judge Reigle denied a motion to suppress any results of an intoxilyzer test administered by State Police.

Then-Lt. Carl Hudson was named Clayton’s acting police chief following a town council meeting and Hill was placed on paid administrative leave. He was later promoted to captain.

Mayor Letterman said the town would hold a personnel committee meeting and that “Capt. Hudson has my full support. I’ve always been a fan of promotion from within, but the committee will meet and then present a recommendation to council for a vote.”

The town said Hill was paid $80,828.80 annually at the time of the incident and reported last week that his current salary was $82,451.20.


Facebook Comment