Correctional officers mourn death of sergeant

Sgt. Steven Floyd

SMYRNA — The correctional officer killed Wednesday in an inmate takeover at James Vaughn Correctional Center was described as “father, grandfather, loving husband who worked overtime 3-4 times a week” to support his family.

Correctional Officers Association of Delaware President Geoff Klopp made those remarks about Sgt. Steven Floyd Thursday in a press conference.

He said Sgt. Floyd was overtaken in a prison closet, but shouted out in time to allow other officers to escape danger.

Sgt. Floyd was 47.

Delaware prison and public safety officials have not released the cause of his death. He was pronounced dead early Thursday morning after a tactical team entered the prison building that had been held by inmates.

Mr. Klopp said he met with the officer’s family Thursday morning.

“His wife said she was looking at the clock this morning at 12:20 (a.m.) when he usually arrives home after an overtime shift,” he said. “She couldn’t believe he wasn’t coming home.

“The family is crushed.”

On Wednesday, Sgt. Floyd was working an 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. shift. The inmates began the siege on officers about 10:30 a.m.

The Delaware Department of Correction issued a press release Thursday to outline his service.

“It is with sad hearts and heavy laden that The Delaware Department of Correction announces the demise of Sergeant Steven R. Floyd,” it read.
“Sergeant Floyd remained steadfast and never wavered in his duties as a sworn law enforcement Officer.”

Sgt. Floyd served at Vaughn Correctional Center for 16 years. He served as a shop steward with the union and mentored coworkers.

He began his career in May of 2000 as a Correctional Officer, subsequently promoting to the rank of Sergeant in 2002.

The Department of Correction statement said he had perfect attendance in 2004 and 2005 and received the facility’s Warden’s Award for Outstanding Performance in 2016.

Gov. John Carney ordered flags to be lowered to half-staff in the wake of his death.

Facebook Comment