Dewey Beach police officer charged with assault

WILMINGTON — A Dewey Beach police officer who allegedly punched a wounded man on a stretcher and then pulled him by the neck into an ambulance in an Aug. 10 incident has been indicted, the Delaware Department of Justice announced Tuesday.

Gregory Lynch Jr. was charged with second-degree assault, second-degree perjury and official misconduct for his alleged actions while assisting EMTs with a injured person near Bellevue Road, spokesman Carl Kanefsky said.
The DOJ’s Office of Civil Rights & Public Trust brought the case before a grand jury.

According to the DOJ, a person had lost consciousness and had an injury in the back of the head when police and EMTs were called to the scene. The DOJ said the wounded man was able to sit on a stretcher but kept one foot on the ground and stated that he did not want to go to the hospital.

As first responders and witnesses tried to convince the man to lie down, Officer Lynch allegedly grabbed the victim’s leg and put it on the stretcher, the DOJ said.

When the man sat up on the stretcher, Officer Lynch allegedly pushed him back down, climbed onto the stretcher, and repeatedly punched him in the face, causing the stretcher to rise off the ground and requiring others to hold the stretcher down to prevent it from flipping over, the DOJ alleged.

Officer Lynch then handcuffed the man to the stretcher and pulled him into an ambulance by his neck, the DOJ said.
The man was later treated at Beebe Hospital and diagnosed with a concussion, a broken nose, multiple hematomas, and lacerations to his face.

Officer Lynch later claimed in a sworn affidavit that the man had committed strangulation and two counts of offensive touching of a law enforcement officer, but the DOJ claimed those claims were contradicted by witness statements.

Witnesses at the scene attested that the man had put his hands up in an attempt to protect his face, but that he had not put his hands around Officer Lynch’s throat as the officer had claimed in a sworn affidavit, the DOJ said.
Officer Lynch turned himself in Tuesday and was released on his own recognizance.

Facebook Comment