DOJ announces recent convictions

GEORGETOWN — The Delaware Department of Justice announced recent Superior Court convictions on Friday, including:

• Steven Snell, of Millsboro, was sentenced to 20 years in prison for kidnapping and robbing an elderly Rehoboth Beach Couple in July 2018.

According to spokesman Carl Kanefsky, Snell, 30, went to a home on Cornwall Road asking to use the phone. Once inside, he threatened the couple with a box cutter, then forced the victims into his car and drove to an ATM where he took money from their account, the DOJ said.
In August, Snell pleaded guilty to first degree kidnapping, first-degree robbery (two counts), home invasion, second-degree assault and possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of felony.

Following the prison time, Snell will serve a year of work release and then two years probation. Both terms will include GPS monitoring.
Deputy Attorney General Adam Gelof prosecuted the case.
• A man who tried to avoid arrest by driving away from a traffic stop with a state trooper hanging onto his vehicle was sentenced to four years in prison.

Deputy Attorney General John Donahue secured the sentence for Brandon Showell, 30, of Seaford. In June 2018, a trooper stopped Showell for running a stop sign, and as the trooper approached Showell’s SUV, Showell put it in gear and started to move, the DOJ said.

As the two struggled, Showell pushed the trooper from the vehicle, got out, and started to run, but the officer was able to take him into custody. In September, Showell pleaded guilty to second-degree assault, reckless endangering and resisting arrest with force or violence.

Following prison, Showell will serve six months of work release, then a year of probation.
• A 44-year-old Lincoln man received a prison sentence for assaulting a woman.

In March, the DOJ said, Toussaint Jones began arguing with a woman who was staying with Jones and his wife. The argument turned physical, with Jones striking the woman in the face, causing an orbital fracture.
In August, Jones pleaded guilty to second-degree assault and was sentenced to three years in prison.

Facebook Comment