DOJ announces recent convictions

WILMINGTON — The Delaware Department of Justice on Friday announced recent local convictions, including.

• A fatal shooting in Bridgeville brought a guilty plea and prison sentence for a Greenwood man. Jared Mitchell, 32, pleaded guilty to manslaughter, first-degree reckless endangering and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony for killing 18-year-old Tavyon Sykes of Greenwood in January 2018, the DOJ said.

A Superior Court judge sentenced Mitchell immediately after the plea to 12 years in prison, followed by six months of home confinement or work release then 10 years of probation.

Deputy Attorneys General Casey L. Ewart and Kristin Potter prosecuted the case with the assistance of social worker Laurel Braunstein and administrative specialist Angelique Waters. Detective Jon King of the Delaware State Police Homicide Unit was the lead investigator.

• A 62-year-old Frederica man who had possession of a neighbor’s dog when it mauled a young child was sentenced to prison.
Deputy Attorney General Dennis Kelleher secured a guilty plea to second-degree assault from Rodger Scarborough in Superior Court. In November 2018, while Scarborough was walking the dog, the dog repeatedly bit a 4-year-old boy playing outside on the 100 block of Fifth Street in Frederica, the DOJ said. The child was taken to the hospital with serious lacerations to his upper lip, multiple lacerations to his upper back, and lacerations to his forehead and the back of his head.

A judge sentenced Scarborough to one year in prison followed by one year of probation.

Social worker Kerry McElwee and administrative assistant Crystal Khan assisted with the case.

• A Dover man pleaded guilty to shooting and injuring two people at a large house party in Dover last year.

Marquis Harris, 23, pleaded to first-degree assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony. In September 2018, Dover Police responded to the unit block of Nicholas Drive where Harris shot into a crowd of people hitting a man and a woman in the back after a fight broke out at a party.

A Superior Court judge will sentence Harris in June.

Deputy Attorney General Sean Motoyoshi prosecuted the case with assistance from social worker Kerry McElwee and special investigator Pete Fraley. Dover Police Detective Stephen Boone was the chief investigating officer.

Facebook Comment