Dover house damaged by fire


23dsn Dover fire response1 by .

Dover Fire Department members, above and at left, work to extinguish a blaze at 19 Senator Ave. on Monday night. Personnel arrived to find fire coming out of the roof. (Submitted photo/Dover Fire Dept.)

DOVER — A homeowner was displaced after a Monday night fire in the Capitol Park community, officials said.

The blaze was reported at 6:56 p.m. According to investigating Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal Scott Bullock, the blaze accidentally was ignited by a torch used for home repair that ignited nearby combustibles.

Damage was estimated at $15,000 and no injuries were reported.

According to city firefighters, units arrived at 19 Senator Ave. to find flames coming from a corner roof/attic area. A line from an arriving engine truck was stretched through the front door, while a ladder truck crew went to the roof and opened it up, officials said.

“Crews quickly got water on the fire and darkened it down,” according to a Dover Fire Department report. “The bulk of the fire was confined to the attic and roof area of the house.”

The fire was contained to one room and a small amount of attic, according to the fire department.

Also responding were Advanced Life Support paramedics and Basic Life Support EMS.

More fire crews arrived and assisted in overhaul and cleanup. The last personnel cleared the scene at 8:06 p.m.

After the scene was placed under control, the State Fire Marshal’s office took over and began an investigation.

The displaced homeowner went to stay with relatives after the blaze, fire officials said. The residence was not condemned fire officials said Tuesday.

Dover Fire Deputy Chief Carleton Carey Jr. had command of the scene.

Facebook Comment