Dover officer pleads not guilty to DUI and related charges

Keith Boris

DOVER — A Dover Police officer has pleaded not guilty following an alleged hit-and-run last Thursday that resuled in a misdemeanor drunken driving charge, according to court documents.

Magnolia resident Keith Boris, 26, on the police force for a year, was placed on administrative leave without pay after the alleged incident, pending an investigation by Dover PD internal affairs. He was also charged with endangering the welfare of a child while DUI and inattentive driving.

The alleged incident unfolded after police responded to a reported hit and run accident at 4:12 p.m. Thursday at McGlynn’s Pub & Restaurant at 800 N. DuPont Highway. A witness provided police with a registration number to a vehicle that Mr. Boris owned, authorities said.

Police then spent three hours trying unsuccessfully to find the vehicle, spokesman Master Cpl. Mark Hoffman said.

At approximately 6:54 p.m., police were called to Transportation Circle and South Bay Road when a then-unidentified man was reportedly seen passed out in the driver’s seat of a black GMC Sierra truck at a red light still in drive. Arriving officers spoke to a witness who said the driver – found to be Mr. Boris – was helped out of the truck before the witness drove it safely into a nearby parking lot.

Police said Mr. Boris had slurred speech, his eyes were bloodshot and he seemed to be impaired, according to a probable cause affidavit. The affidavit indicated that no alcoholic beverages were found in the vehicle, “however (a witness) could detect the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from his breath.”

Mr. Boris’ child – who police described as a “young” girl – was wearing a seatbelt in a restraint chair after being picked up from daycare, authorities said. The child was unharmed and released to her mother’s custody.

In papers, police said Mr. Boris refused all field sobriety tests at the scene. He was taken to Dover PD for a DUI investigation, where a blood alcohol concentration draw was taken and other information was collected. Police said Monday that BAC results were pending.

The Kent County unit of the Attorney General’s Office was also contacted about the incident, police said.

Mr. Boris was released from custody and returned with an attorney at around 7:15 p.m. Friday to face charges, police said. He was given a $1,000 unsecured bond at Justice of the Peace Court 7 in Dover and an arraignment in the Court of Common Pleas was scheduled for March 7.

Police announced the case Saturday and included a prepared statement from Chief Marvin Mailey that read:

“To say that I am disappointed in this incident is an understatement. As police officers, we too often see the tragedies that operating a vehicle under the influence of any substance can cause.

“Despite the gravity of this issue, I am thankful that the reckless actions of this individual did not harm anyone on Thursday evening. This incident falls far short of the standard we expect from the employees of the Dover Police Department.

“We will continue to address this matter with the seriousness it deserves and be as transparent as allowed by Delaware law with the ongoing investigation.”

Facebook Comment