DSU driver’s trial postponed; former airman gets date in court next week

DOVER — The trial of a 29-year-old man charged with vehicular assault and alcohol-related offenses during homecoming festivities at Delaware State University was postponed late last week.

Seven people were injured when Gregory A. Ligon’s vehicle went out of control in a fraternity picnic area at approximately 7:28 p.m. Oct. 24, 2015, according to the Dover Police Department.

Gregory E. Ligon Jr.

Gregory E. Ligon Jr.

No new date was set for the trial, according to the Delaware Attorney General’s Office late Monday morning. President Judge William L. Witham was considering a motion from the defense and ordered a continuance.

Mr. Ligon, a former DSU football player who now lives in Mitchellville, Maryland, is charged with one count of first-degree vehicular assault, six counts of second-degree vehicular assault and DUI of alcohol. He was indicted on June 6, according to court records.

Police said one person suffered major injuries when pinned between and a tree and a Mercedes Benz door; she was airlifted to Christiana Hospital for treatment.

Six of the injured people were between 20 and 22 years old, and a 51-year-old man was also hurt, police said.

A trial was scheduled for Tuesday in Kent County Superior Court. Previous trials were scheduled for March 7 and April 4.

Attorney Joseph Hurley is defending Mr. Ligon, while Deputy Attorney General Zachary George is prosecuting for the state.

Other upcoming trials

• A 28-year-old man charged with murder by abuse as he cared for a 21-month-old male infant at Dover Air Force Base on Nov. 3, 2012, has a trial scheduled for Monday in Kent County Superior Court.

Justin K. Corbett was arrested on Feb. 18, 2014 after authorities investigated the matter; he was a Air Force airman

Justin K. Corbett

Justin K. Corbett

at the time and primary caregiver for the infant whose mother was away on a military deployment.

Trials were previously scheduled for June 16, 2014, and July 13, 2015. Mr. Corbett was indicted on April 7, 2014.

In court papers, Mr. Corbett was listed as a Magnolia resident.

Judge Robert B. Young was assigned to the case; Deputy Attorney General Josette Manning will prosecute for the state, with attorney William Deely representing Mr. Corbett.

Authorities said a 911 call was made regarding an unresponsive infant who reportedly fell down a flight of eight carpeted stairs at a residence in the 1000 block of Avocado Avenue in Dover.

The child died from his injuries on Nov. 7, 2012. An autopsy conducted by the Delaware Office of the Chief Medical Examiner determined the child suffered multiple injuries including retinal and other eye injuries, multiple contusions on his head and brain swelling and bleeding, officials said. The cause of death was ruled homicide by blunt force trauma, officials said.

• On July 18, Alex Joseph, 23, of Dover, is scheduled to face two first-degree attempted murder charges at trial regarding an alleged shooting incident on Sept. 4, 2015.

According to the Dover Police Department, a 20-year-old man was shot twice within two hours while in the area of Whatcoat Apartments and The Hamlet. The man was wounded in the chest and suffered a graze wound to the leg, police said.

Alex Joseph and his brother Johnson Joseph were arrested the next day at a residence in Dover, police said. Police said they located a gun believed to be involved in the alleged incident.

Other charges against Alex Joseph include first-degree conspiracy, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony (two counts).

In May, Johnson Joseph, 20, of Dover pleaded guilty to felony assault and conspiracy charges and was immediately sentenced to nine months in prison to be followed by work release and then probation.

Attorney André Beauregard is representing Alex Joseph, with Deputy Attorney General Greg Babowal prosecuting for the state.

• A 42-year-old Lincoln man is scheduled for trial on July 19 regarding an alleged verbal altercation over the phone escalated into shots fired on Oct. 31, 2015, in Milford.

Eric A. Harris

Eric A. Harris

Eric A. Harris is facing 11 counts of first-degree reckless endangering after a shotgun was fired into a residence in the 100 block of West Street at approximately 2:07 a.m., according to the Milford Police Department. A metal pipe was also thrown through a window, police said. Eleven people were in the residence at the time, police said.

Other charges include possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, possession of deadly weapon by person prohibited, criminal mischief and endangering the welfare of a child.

A 28-year-old Milford man who emerged from the residence and confronted Mr. Harris was charged with aggravated menacing and criminal mischief.

Deputy Attorney General Mr. Babowal is prosecuting the case, with attorney Mr. Beauregard representing Mr. Harris.

Reach staff writer Craig Anderson at canderson@newszap.com

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.