Frederica man gets prison time for robbing two businesses

Daequan Martin

DOVER — A Frederica man was immediately sentenced to five years in prison Tuesday after admitting to robbery and burglary at two area businesses late last year.

Daequan Martin, 18 at the time of his arrest on Dec. 21, 2016, entered guilty pleas in Kent County Superior Court regarding incidents at a Canterbury Shore Stop and Liberto Storage Facility in Dover. Cases against three co-defendants in two separate indictments are ongoing.

Standing before Resident Judge William L. Witham Jr. and with lawyer William Deely at his side, Martin answered “Yes, sir” several times when asked if he understood the ramifications of his pleas and was making them voluntarily.

The Delaware State Police investigated the Shore Stop robbery on Nov. 21, 2016 and Liberto Storage Facility break-in sometime between Nov. 28 and Nov. 30, 2016, and identified Martin as a suspect in both cases. He was taken into custody without incident at a Leipsic residence, police said, where a 7.62 mm rifle and a 12-gauge shotgun with a modified barrel less than 18 inches long were found in a bedroom.

Martin pled guilty to second-degree robbery, possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a felony and third-degree burglary and faced up to 33 years in prison. He was also sentenced to 18 months of Level III probation, ordered to pay restitution and issued no contact orders with the victims and businesses involved.

Noting Martin’s recent offenses as a “fairly significant step up” in seriousness from previous incidents Judge Witham urged the defendant to attain an education to boost future employment opportunities. The Court ordered completion of a General Education Development program.

“I would hope in the future you could comply with the law,” the judge said.

Counselor Deely said he discussed legal options with Martin five to six times before a decision to plead was made. Judge Witham noted the attorney’s “thorough” handling of the case.

Other charges against Martin were not further prosecuted.

Facebook Comment