Hermine forces cancellation of Dover fireworks

DOVER — Due to high winds, the fireworks scheduled for tonight, Sept. 3, in Dover must be cancelled, organizers said.

The Saturday events were dubbed Fourth of July 2.0 in hopes of making up for the storm-related cancellation on Independence Day.

Under state fire regulations, a fireworks show can’t occur with winds of more than 20 miles per hour, and the current forecasts for this evening are for sustained winds between 21 and 25 miles per hour with gusts into the 30s.

Given both the regulation and the close proximity of Dover’s fireworks to buildings and homes, it would not be safe to have the show in such conditions, said organizers.

The fireworks, band concerts, vendors, pony rides and moon bounces scheduled for 4 p.m. will not take place this evening.

However the daytime events scheduled for the First State Heritage Park sites and Biggs Museum for today will go on, with sites closing at 4:30 p.m.

The backup date for the fireworks was Sunday, but the forecast is for even higher winds and greater chance of rain, so there is no current reschedule date.

The Sept. 3 fireworks show had been rescheduled from July 4th by the Dover Fourth of July Committee after a weather-forced cancellation that day.

Reach the Delaware State News newsroom at newsroom@newszap.com

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.