Legislative Hall expected to reopen to staff after fire

DOVER — Legislative Hall is expected to reopen for employees on Wednesday, a week after a fire caused extensive damage to some parts of the building.

Office of Management and Budget spokeswoman Jessica Eisenbrey says the cleanup since last Wednesday’s fire is almost complete, although some areas still need new carpet, and some cubicles, furniture and ceiling tiles must be replaced. She says the fire, heating, ventilation and air conditioning and sprinkler systems must be fully evaluated.

A wall in the office of the House Democrats’ chief of staff, which sustained the heaviest damage, also will need to be rebuilt.

Ongoing renovations to the House chamber have resumed.

Investigators say the fire began accidentally when an exhaust pipe for a backup generator was being tested.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.