Second man pleads guilty in home invasion murder

Matthew Harrington

DOVER — A second Pennsylvania man has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder during a 2015 home invasion that left two people dead.

Matthew Harrington took the deal last Tuesday in Kent County Superior Court and will be sentenced on May 9. A second-degree murder conviction carries a 15-year mandatory minimum sentence.

According to the prosecution, Harrington took part in a shooting incident on Oct. 17, 2015, in Rodney Village, resulting in the death of resident Clifton Leager, 52.

Haley Henwood, 18, of Philadelphia, was shot to death by Mr. Leager’s son Jacob as she waited in a getaway vehicle, police said. The younger Leager, also shot, was chasing suspects from the scene when he opened fire, according to investigators.

On March 3, Saleem Shabazz entered a plea to second-degree murder, home invasion and second-degree conspiracy in Superior Court and will be sentenced on April 25.

Judge Jeffrey Clark ordered pre-sentence investigations for the co-conspirators.

Leager, 22, pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide on Feb. 2, and was sentenced to eight years in prison, suspended for time already served. He was ordered to serve six months of Level IV home confinement, followed by a year of Level III probation and then two years of restitution only Level I probation.

Harrington was 23 at the time of the shooting, and Shabazz was 22. Both were transported from Pennsylvania to face charges in Delaware. Shabazz was located in Norristown and Harrington surrendered to police in Buckingham Township. Shabazz was extradited by detectives on Nov. 3, 2015, Harrington on May 5, 2016.

Authorities said the shootings occurred in the 1400 block of John Clark Road after a home invasion was reported at approximately 1:38 a.m.

Harrington was initially charged with first-degree murder, two counts of attempted robbery, first-degree assault, six counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, two counts of first-degree burglary, first- and second-degree conspiracy.

Deputy Attorneys General Jason Cohee and Ben Snyder prosecuted the case.

Facebook Comment