Suspect accidentally released in Dover fatal shooting case found in NC

DOVER — A 27-year-old Dover man charged this month in a June fatal shooting and accidentally released from custody last week was arrested without incident Thursday in North Carolina, Dover Police spokesman Master Cpl. Mark Hoffman said.

Dion Williams was apprehended by U.S. Marshals after it was determined by Dover police and the U.S. Marshals First State Fugitive Task Force that he was in Laurinburg, North Carolina.

He was taken into custody and is currently being held pending an extradition hearing to Delaware.
The whereabouts of Mr. Williams had been unknown after what authorities described as a “communication error” by a city police officer that freed the suspect after a capias had cleared on Friday, Sept. 13, Master Cpl. Mark Hoffman said.

Mr. Williams was initially apprehended on Sept. 13 in connection with a shooting at Janaid’s Salon at 211 W. Loockerman Street on June 1. Police said Julius Johnson, 31, was wounded in the shoulder during an exchange of gunfire and died from his injuries on July 5.

A verbal confrontation had preceded the shooting and police said about 20 people were inside the business at the time.
Investigation led to warrants filed against Mr. Williams, who was located by Dover police and the U.S. Marshals First State Fugitive Task Force in Sussex County on Sept. 13.

Mr. Williams was then held at Sussex Correctional Institution in Georgetown on an $87,000 secured bond; charges included first-degree assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, possession of firearm by person prohibited, carry concealed deadly weapon and four counts of reckless endangering.

Due to an outstanding capias through Justice of the Peace Court 7 in Dover, police said Mr. Williams was transported to Dover to address the matter. He was then transferred to the custody of the Capitol Police Department before being released at around 9:30 a.m. Sept. 13, police said.

Additional charges may be brought against Mr. Williams as investigation continues and the Delaware Office of the Attorney General considers the case, police said.

The case remains under investigation and additional charges may be brought later as further details are discovered and upon consulting with the Delaware Office of the Attorney General.

An earlier press release stated that Capitol Police would be obtaining warrants for third-degree escape, however, those were not granted.

Delaware State News staff writer Mike Finney can be reached at mfinney@newszap.com.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment