Suspect in fatal shooting remains at large after accidental release

DOVER — A 27-year-old Dover man charged after a fatal shooting three months ago was accidentally released from custody last week and remained at large on Monday, Dover Police said.

The whereabouts of Dion Williams were unknown after what authorities described as a “communication error” by a city police officer that freed the suspect after a capias had cleared on Friday, spokesman Master Cpl. Mark Hoffman said.

Mr. Williams was initially apprehended on Friday in connection with a shooting at Janaid’s Salon at 211 W. Loockerman Street on June 1. Police said Julius Johnson, 31, was wounded in the shoulder during an exchange of gunfire and died from his injuries on July 5. A verbal confrontation preceded the rounds being discharged and police said about 20 people were inside the business at the time.

Investigation led to warrants filed against Mr. Williams, who was located by Dover Police and the US Marshals First State Fugitive Task Force in Sussex County on Friday.

Mr. Williams was then held at Sussex Correctional Institution in Georgetown on an $87,000 secured bond; charges included first-degree assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, possession of firearm by person prohibited, carry concealed deadly weapon and reckless endangering (four counts).

Due to an outstanding capias through Justice of the Peace Court 7, police said Mr. Williams was transported to Dover to address the matter. He was then transferred to the custody of the Capitol Police Department before being released at approximately 9:30 a.m. Friday, police said.

Additional charges may be brought against Mr. Williams as investigation continues and the Delaware Office of the Attorney General considers the case, police said.

Police asked anyone with information on the case to call 736-7111. Callers may remain anonymous. Tips may also be submitted to law enforcement through Delaware Crime Stoppers at 800-TIP-3333 or online at delawarecrimestoppers.com; a cash reward of up to $1,000 is possible for information leading to an arrest.

Reach staff writer Craig Anderson at canderson@newszap.com

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment