Wicks recovering from crash injuries: Smyrna native, country singer suffered fractures of skull, spine

DOVER — Country singer, songwriter and radio personality Chuck Wicks continues to recover from a Feb. 28 vehicle accident that fractured his skull and cervical vertebrae.

The 37-year-old Smyrna native explained his plight on Facebook the next day while thanking, “all of you who have reached out with your concerns messages text/calls prayers.”

The crash occurred in Mississippi as Mr. Wicks was traveling from Nashville, Tennessee to Mardi Gras with three others to serve as a parade grand marshal.

The vehicle hydroplaned after striking a puddle during a rainstorm, Mr. Wicks reported, and it rolled twice into a ditch full of water.

“Talk about slow motion,” Mr. Wicks posted. “It was if the world literally stopped.”

Chuck Wicks is pictured in a hospital room shortly after a vehicle crash that fractured his skull and a vertebrae. (Submitted photo/Facebook)

Emerging from the vehicle in a state of shock, Mr. Wicks said he first checked his teeth and body for injuries and looked for his traveling partners.

The vehicle was a total wreck, the 1997 Smyrna High graduate said, and the occupants had to crawl from it.

After several cars passed by, a motorist finally stopped at the scene, and was quickly joined by others.

Police, fire trucks and ambulances arrived as Mr. Wicks said his condition worsened.

“Throughout the entire process I remember my neck just getting stiffer and stiffer and between the shock of everything and being soak[ing] wet from rolling through the water filled ditch I couldn’t stop shaking,” he recounted on Facebook.

“I told the paramedic I had neck and head pain and they immediately put me on the backboard/stretcher. As my head got stiffer through the ride and I knew everyone else was OK I started to panic a bit.. and honestly I was scared,”

A trip to a hospital emergency followed, Mr. Wicks posted, as staff cut off his wet clothes and began administering IVs while preparing for an immediate CAT Scan and MRI.

“I found cuts on me I didn’t even knew I had because the adrenaline wouldn’t let me feel them,” Mr. Wicks said.

Test results revealed a fractured skull and vertebrae fracture, and an attending doctor told Mr. Wicks he “was lucky to be walking and talking.”

Attempts to reach Mr. Wicks on Tuesday were unsuccessful.

With all things considered, Mr. Wicks put a positive spin on accident.

“What does this mean?” he asked rhetorically.

“It means I’m lucky I’m alive and not paralyzed.”

Mr. Wicks said he expected “a lot of discomfort for awhile” while wearing a neck brace for approximately three months.

While in his hospital bed, Mr. Wicks described himself as under the influence of much-needed pain medication and watching a lot of cartoons.

“Listen … bottom line,” he wrote. “It’s gonna take some time to recover. This isn’t a I’ll feel better in a week type of deal.

“But I’m extremely lucky. And I’m so glad that [fellow victims] Ty, Kelly and Glenn are OK.

“So be safe out there. Don’t take anything for granted.”

Mr. Wicks has performed six single songs that made the Billboard charts, along with albums “Starting Now”, “Rough” and “Turning Point.” He currently hosts America’s Morning Show on Nash FM radio with Ty Bentli and Kelly Ford, both who were in the crash along with producer Glen Johnson.

Facebook Comment