Woodland Ferry back in service; Blades/Seaford bridge reopens

WOODLAND — Following a very long delay, the Woodland Ferry is now back in service.

Delaware Department of Transportation Maintenance Engineer Jason McCluskey confirmed the resumption of service Wednesday afternoon, according to an update from State Rep. Danny Short, R-Seaford.

Resumption of service marks an end to a nine-month interruption.
The historic ferry transports vehicles and passengers across the Nanticoke River from landings located about four miles southwest of Seaford and five miles northwest of Laurel.

The 65-foot ferry, named the Tina Fallon in tribute to the longtime state legislator, was taken out-of-service in mid-November for scheduled maintenance, replacement of its engine and a mandatory Coast Guard inspection.

The vessel was transported to a Baltimore-based contractor for the required work.
However, when the vessel was delivered back to Woodland the new engine was found to be flooded with saltwater.

The issue touched off a legal dispute between DelDOT, which operates the ferry, and the contractor. Additional delays occurred involving the repairs.
The loss of the service had forced motorists needing to cross the waterway to make long detours to use bridges in Seaford or Sharptown, Maryland.

There was more good news for motorists in western Sussex Wednesday: the bridge spanning the Nanticoke River linking Seaford and Blades reopened following maintenance and work that necessitated closure for several months.

Other updates from Rep. Short
Bethel Bridge: Project is on track; completion expected on or close to Aug. 25.
Laurel Bridge (Central Avenue Bridge): The contractor was supposed to have finished by the end of June. That company is now being punished (and motivated to finish) by incurring a daily fine for each day the work continues. The detours should be removed by the end of September, although some minor work that will not obstruct traffic may occur afterward.

Facebook Comment