Wyoming man takes probation plea in high speed chase

Todd I. Mahrenholz

DOVER — A Wyoming man who led police on a high speed chase late last year and was facing the possibility of 18 years in prison took a probation before judgment plea Thursday morning and diverted to the state’s Mental Health Court.

Todd I. Mahrenholz, 54 at the time, was charged with second-degree assault and two first-degree reckless endangering felonies for a Dec. 20, 2018 incident that injured one officer slightly and involved a several-mile vehicle pursuit reaching in excess of 80 mph, authorities said. Harrington Police said another office was nearly struck.

During a 12-minute Superior Court sentencing session that began with the judge and lawyers conducting a quick sidebar, Deputy Attorney General Kenneth Haltom said Mahrenholz was not free of charges unless treatment conditions are met in Mental Health Court. A Feb. 26 entry date was set.

Queried by Resident Judge William L. Witham Jr., Mr. Mahrenholz said he understood the ramifications of his decision and defense attorney Andre’ M. Beauregard explained “He seems to be knowing everything that’s going on today.”

Any other offenses committed during the potentially 18-month involvement with Mental Health Court could bring a review of the defendant’s PBJ status and potential consequences, Judge Witham said. Also, failure to complete the program ordered will result in a guilty finding.

Mahrenholz must be evaluate by the state’s Treatment Access Center, and Mr. Beauregard indicated he has already been diagnosed by a private physician.

Mahrenholz initially face 29 charges, according to police, including nine felonies. The chase began at Midway Shopping Center in Harrington and concluded on South State Street south of Rising Sun Road near Camden.

The defendant was reportedly driving a 2008 Ford F150 towing a black trailer at the time, police said.

Officers from Felton, Wyoming, Camden and Delaware State Police took part in the apprehension.

The incident began when Harrington Police received a welfare check call for a person inside the Pain Management Center who seemed disoriented and possibly under the influence of some drug, authorities said at the time.

When police approached, authorities said, Mahrenholz sped out of the shopping center’s parking lot. Later, police said, a vehicle was struck, causing roughly $10,000 damage, along with another parked vehicle.

According to police the defendant’s vehicle became disabled due to mechanical problems and was taken into custody without further incident.

Facebook Comment