Cheswold mom and daughter are OK

CHESWOLD — A Cheswold mother and teenage daughter who went missing for more than a week returned home safe and sound Tuesday night, police said.

Susan M. Temple, 33, and her 13-year-old daughter had not been seen since May 16, and Cheswold police began investigation into their whereabouts after notification on May 22, Chief Christopher Workman said.

Police said they were contacted by a school resource officer on Wednesday morning that the missing child had returned to school. Chief Workman said he then contacted Ms. Temple’s father to confirm the return. The father said she returned at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.

“(School resource officers) receive notifications regarding children in the school if they are missing or have other issue such as warrants or other police contact,” Chief Workman said.

“He was advised by the school principal that (the student) was in school.”

Susan M. Temple

Susan M. Temple

Authorities said Wednesday morning that they had not talked directly to Ms. Temple, and were unsure why she went missing to begin with or where she was in the interim. She was last seen picking up her daughter from her brother’s house in Bear on May 16, Cheswold police said.

“The missing persons report has been removed from the system and there currently are no charges pending on the Cheswold police regarding this incident as they were considered missing persons,” Chief Workman said.

Chief Workman said information distributed to news outlets and local police departments assisted in the location of the missing persons.

“We believe that the fast response help to facilitate their return,” he said.

Chief Workman said his department spent more than 48 man hours during the search for mother and daughter in concern for their safety and “we are happy that this has a positive outcome. The assistance of all of the new agencies and other departments were extremely helpful in bringing this to a positive conclusion.”

According to police, Ms. Temple left the Cheswold home she shares with her father on May 14, heading to a vehicle repair shop in his 2007 Honda Civic. Her father had not seen her since until Tuesday’s return.

Chief Workman said Ms. Temple has legal custody of her daughter, and police did not have any information regarding the teen’s father.

Authorities said police and Ms. Temple’s father unsuccessfully attempted to contact her via cellphone. At one point, police said, Ms. Temple allegedly sent a cellphone text regarding a return on Saturday, which did not happen.

In a news release regarding the initial search, police said Ms. Temple was currently wanted on capiases at Justice of the Peace Court 20 in Wilmington and Kent County Superior Court.

Facebook Comment