Dover airman charged with rape of 14-year-old runaway

DOVER — An airman stationed at Dover Air Force Base was charged this week with raping a runaway 14-year-old girl, police said Thursday.

Dover Police were contacted in November by the girl’s guardian, who learned that the girl was staying at a local apartment complex, police spokesman Master Cpl. Mark Hoffman said in a press release. Officers went to the apartment, where they found the girl and 21-year-old Zepplin Taylor-McGinness.

Dover Police and the Air Force Office of Special Investigations launched a joint investigation, in which they learned that Taylor-McGinness had allegedly engaged in sexual acts with the girl on several occasions.

Mr. Taylor-McGinness was arrested Monday without incident and charged with four counts of second-degree rape and child endangerment.

He was being held in lieu of $100,500 secured bond at James T. Vaughn Correctional Center near Smyrna. It was not immediately clear whether Mr. Taylor-McGinness has a lawyer.

Authorities said the juvenile was returned to a guardian.

The alleged incidents took place at the Dover Country Club Apartments at 11 Greenway Square.

Zepplin Taylor-McGinness

The arrest of Mr. Taylor-McGinness comes as a former airman who also was stationed at Dover awaits sentencing for sexual abuse of another teenage runaway.

Dalian Washington, who is to be sentenced Feb. 21, faces at least 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to child sex trafficking.

Washington and another airman, Akeem Beazer, were arrested last April after a young teen, who officials say had a troubled home life and often lived on the street, told a social worker that she had stayed on the military base and had sex with service members.

Beazer was sentenced last month to 30 months in prison after pleading guilty to sexual abuse of a minor.

In October 2017, an airman stationed at DAFB was sentenced federally to five years of prison followed by 10 years of supervised release for having allegedly collected more than 10,000 images and 3,000 videos of children engaging in sexually explicit conduct, including but not limited to sexual intercourse, according to the United States Attorney District of Delaware.

Of the 162 identified victims, federal authorities said 16 came forward seeking restitution. The U.S. District Court awarded $48,000 in total restitution, for the known victims.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment