Dover man wounded in shooting

DOVER — A 32-year-old Dover man was shot and wounded by an unknown black suspect on Sunday afternoon in the downtown area, city police said.

The incident at 26 S. Governors Ave. unfolded just before 5 p.m., according to Dover Police spokesman Master Cpl. Mark Hoffman. That’s when a gunman ran into an apartment and discharged a firearm into the victim’s abdomen.

Witnesses told officers the suspect ran into an apartment in the same building.

The area was sealed off for four hours as the Dover Police Special Operations Response Team, Crisis Negotiation Team, Kent County Department of Public Safety, and Delaware State Police units were called to the scene.

Residents inside the building and in surrounding homes were evacuated for safety precautions, Dover Police said.

However, no suspect was found in the three apartments.

The operation ran from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. The street was re-opened at approximately 10 p.m. when all emergency units had cleared the area.

Police said the wounded man was driven by private vehicle to Bay-health-Kent General Hospital in Dover where he underwent surgery. He was later transported to Christiana Hospital in Newark for further treatment and was in stable condition. Due to medical procedures it was unknown whether he provided any information to investigators.

No other injuries were reported. Authorities said it was still “being assessed at this time” whether any of the incident was captured on surveillance video. While multiple shots were fired, police said it was unknown how many rounds were discharged.

Police received calls reporting the shooting, and hospital staff contacted law enforcement about the victim’s arrival as is standard procedure, Cpl. Hoffman said.

The suspect arrived at the scene on foot, police said. It was unclear how he fled.

Chief Buck Carey said exterior bricks of the nearby Dover Fire Department’s north side were struck by a bullet’s ricochet, but the gunfire did not penetrate the interior. A nearby vehicle was also struck, police said.

Firefighters returning from a call were backing a truck into the station when they heard gunshots, Chief Carey said. The department went on immediate lockdown status, the chief said.

“At first our guys were like ‘What the heck is going on?’ “ Chief Carey said. “I didn’t hear it but arrived in a second truck and there was a lot of talk going on about it. We followed lockdown procedures until we found out more information.”

Dover Police said investigation was ongoing and asked anyone with details to call 736-7130. Callers may remain anonymous. Tips can also be submitted to law enforcement through tip lines maintained by Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333 or online at

Facebook Comment