Dover man’s trial in woman’s shooting death set for November

Darren C. Weiford

DOVER — The trial of a 22-year-old Dover man accused of shooting a woman to death at a motel last year has been moved to the fall.

Darren C. Weiford was scheduled to face a first-degree murder charge earlier this month, but will now appear in Superior Court on Nov. 13, the Delaware Department of Justice confirmed this week.

He was arrested on June 1, 2017, the day Dover area resident Amber Buckler, 20, was found dead from a single gunshot wound to the upper body in a room at the First State Inn at 1760 N. DuPont Highway, police said.

According to authorities, officers were called to the scene at 11:28 a.m. and Mr. Weiford was taken into custody without incident.

Police said at the time that Mr. Weiford and Ms. Bucker were in a relationship.

Mr. Weiford was indicted on a murder count on Oct. 2, 2017, along with a possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony charge. He was held at James T. Vaughn Correctional Center near Smyrna in lieu of $1,180,000 cash bond.

Attorney James E. Liguori is defending Mr. Weiford, with Deputy Attorney General Dennis Kelleher prosecuting for the state. Judge Jeffrey J. Clark is overseeing the case.

Reach staff writer Craig Anderson at canderson@newszap.com

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment