Ex-death row inmate accused of sex trafficking


DOVER — A former Delaware death row inmate later exonerated has been arrested in Hawaii on prostitution-related charges, authorities confirmed Tuesday.

Isaiah Otis Wilmont McCoy, 28, was arrested by Honolulu Police on Jan. 3 and charged with two counts of promoting prostitution and a count of criminal contempt.

In a separate case on Jan. 4, Mr. McCoy was indicted federally for sex trafficking by force, U.S. Attorney’s Office spokesman Larry Tong said. Authorities alleged that he forced an adult female in for prostitution between Dec. 22-26. Another suspect — 35-year-old Tawana Roberts — was also charged in the case

Mr. McCoy was arrested on Jan. 5 and made an initial appearance for arraignment in federal court, Mr. Tong said. He was held in custody and is scheduled for a detention hearing today.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office said a trial is scheduled for March 6.

Honolulu Police arrested Mr. McCoy and Ms. Roberts in the area of Ala Moana at the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel in Waikiki, according to an official log posted online.

After being found not guilty of murder in Delaware following a second trial on Jan. 19, Mr. McCoy moved to Hawaii where family lived.

He was initially convicted of shooting Salisbury, Maryland resident James Munford to death in a Rodney Village Parking lot on May 4, 2010.

He was found guilty by a jury in Kent County Superior Court on June 29, 2012 and sentenced to death in October 2012. Resident Judge William L. Witham Jr. officiated the proceedings.

Isaiah McCoy

The alleged incident was portrayed as a drug deal turned fatally violent at trial by the prosecution.

The first verdict was overturned by the Delaware Supreme Court on Jan. 20, 2015 due to alleged prosecutorial misconduct and court errors.

The case was sent the case back to Delaware Superior Court for a retrial, where Judge Robert B. Young rendered a not guilty verdict.

On Aug. 2, 2016, the Delaware Supreme Court found the state’s death penalty statute unconstitutional.

Mr. McCoy was found not guilty in a second trial.

He spent over six years and eight months in prison, and was initially sentenced to death.

On July 28, Mr. McCoy filed a 56-page civil complaint against several past and present Delaware Department of Justice, Department of Correction, and Delaware State Police staff.


Facebook Comment