Fire damages outlet store

LEWES — The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office said an early morning fire caused minor damage to a retail establishment Thursday.

The blaze occurred at approximately 4:19 a.m. in the 35000 block of Midway Outlet Drive. The Lewes Volunteer Fire Department responded to a reported automatic fire alarm activation. They arrived to find smoke in the retail establishment operating as Polo Ralph Lauren. Fire apparatus from Rehoboth Beach, and Indian River Volunteer fire companies arrived on scene to assist.

There were no injuries reported.

The sprinkler system activated and kept the flames under control allowing quick extinguishment of the fire.

The State Fire Marshal’s office responded to the scene and determined the incident occurred when a malfunction in a fluorescent light fixture ignited nearby combustible materials. Fire loss was listed at $5,000.

Reach the Delaware State News newsroom at newsroom@newszap.com

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment