Fireplace embers blamed for Odessa house fire

ODESSA — Embers from a fireplace ignited a fire at a home in the unit block of Canary Court in the Augustine Creek neighborhood Saturday evening.

The fire was reported around 5:30 p.m. Saturday after flames were seen engulfing the exterior siding of the home, said Michael G. Chionchio, assistant state fire marshal.

The family, who was home at the time, were unharmed, Mr. Chionchio said.

Firefighters from the Odessa Fire Company responded, and contained and extinguished the fire without any injuries, Mr. Chionchio said.

Deputy fire marshals investigated the fire and found that it originated from embers in the fireplace that escaped from the chimney, igniting the structural wood framing that surrounded the fireplace, Mr. Chionchio said It was declared an accident.

Damage was estimated at $10,000, Mr. Chionchio said.

“Homeowners are encouraged to have their fireplace, wood stove, and/or chimney inspected by a professional at least once a year and preferably at the beginning of the cold season,” Mr. Chionchio said in a prepared statement. “Preventive maintenance and proper usage will drastically reduce the chance of an unfriendly fire.”

Reach the Delaware State News newsroom at newsroom@newszap.com

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment