Fletcher pleads guilty to felony weapon charge

DOVER — A 21-year-old Dover man wounded in a police-involved shooting in August pleaded guilty Wednesday to a felony weapon charge, officials said.

Terrance B. Fletcher Jr., of the 100 block of North Governors Boulevard, admitted to carrying a concealed deadly weapon during an incident on Aug. 28.

He was sentenced to eight years in prison, suspended after five months. In the plea deal, a possession of a firearm by person prohibited charge was dropped.

Terrance Fletcher Jr.

Terrance Fletcher Jr.

The effective date of the sentence is Aug. 28 for Fletcher, now held at James T. Vaughn Correctional Center near Smyrna.

In Kent County Superior Court before Judge Robert B. Young, Fletcher also was given a zero tolerance policy for possessing any weapon in the future, among other stipulations, according to the Delaware Department of Justice.

A Dover police officer pursuing Fletcher shot him in the upper thigh when he emerged from a pathway between the 100 block of South New Street and 120 North Governors Avenue at about 1 p.m, police said at the time.

Officers rendered first aid as a radio call for assistance was made, police said, and Fletcher was treated at Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital in Dover for a non-life threatening wound.

Fletcher threw a .38 caliber revolver as he was struck, according to police, and the weapon was located soon afterward.

Initial contact was made by a Probation and Parole Officer after the Street Crimes Unit received a tip on Fletcher’s whereabouts, Dover Police said.

Fletcher then ran east through the pathway as a 60- to 70-yard pursuit began, authorities said.

When Fletcher emerged from the pathway, according to authorities, a Dover police officer positioned in a parking lot confronted him and discharged his department-issued firearm.

Police said Fletcher admitted to possessing a handgun on Sept. 1.

After the Friday afternoon shooting, a crowd of perhaps up to 300 gathered in the South New Street area before dispersing after about two hours.

Police described the crowd as hostile at times, and two misdemeanor arrests were made for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Deputy Attorney General Steve Welch prosecuted the case for the state, and William Deely of the Public Defender’s Office represented Fletcher.

The Office of Civil Rights and Public Trust still is investigating the officer’s role in the shooting, officials said.

The officer returned to full duty two months ago, Dover police said Wednesday.

Facebook Comment