Former UD baseball pitcher charged with seventh rape

GEORGETOWN — A former University of Delaware baseball player previously charged with raping six women will not have to post additional bail after being indicted on charges of raping a seventh woman.

A Wilmington newspaper reports prosecutors wanted 22-year-old Clay Conaway to post an additional $50,000 for the charges of second-degree rape and strangulation added last month. His attorney argued that Conaway didn’t pose a “realistic threat” because of the new charges, and a judge agreed additional bail wasn’t necessary Monday.

Court documents show Mr. Conaway’s parents put up four properties to pay his $310,000 bail in September. Mr. Conaway has pleaded not guilty to all charges. His attorney, Joseph Hurley, said he wasn’t “an apologist for rape” but four women Conaway met on online dating apps were on there “to hook up.”

Mr. Conaway, 22 at the time, was first arrested during Delaware State Police investigation into an alleged incident on June 20 at a residence in Georgetown.

Authorities said a 20-year-old female reported that she was sexually assaulted and Mr. Conaway was taken into custody without incident on Aug. 22.

Later, the DSP Major Crimes Unit said it identified five additional people who claimed they were sexually assaulted by Mr. Conaway. Two incidents in 2013 were alleged, another in 2017 and two in 2018.

 

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment