Latest Dover shooting leaves 15-year-old dead

DOVER – A 15-year-old Milford male died from gunshot wounds after initially calling 911 from an alley Monday night to report his wounds, Dover Police spokesman Master Cpl. Mark Hoffman said.

Kainami Grant was quickly transported by medical personnel to Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital, where he succumbed to his wounds. He had been shot multiple times, authorities said.

The Dover area has experienced 12 shooting incidents since Dec. 23, leaving nine persons injured. Monday’s incident was the first fatal one.

Dover Police responded to 31 shootings in 2018, 50 in 2019. Besides injurious incidents, shootings also include non-injury cases where only a home, car, etc. were damaged.

Youth called police

At 9:49 p.m., officers went to a rear alley on Paul Street near Davis Circle. The youth had called to report he had been shot and was conscious when police arrived, Cpl. Hoffman said.

Police said no witnesses were present when officers arrived. It was unknown why the Grant youth was in the area, according to authorities.

The victim’s identity was not immediately known, but he was identified through fingerprints and next of kin were notified.

Police said they could not disclose whether nearby residents were interviewed or whether the youth was able to provide any information before passing.

About three hours earlier Monday night, two occupied homes in the unit block of S. Governors Avenue were struck by gunfire. No injuries were reported and there was no early indication that it was related to the incident that followed, though investigation continued.

Police determined that multiple shots were discharged around 6:58 p.m. by an unknown suspect in the area between South New Street and South Governors Avenue.

Police said investigations continue in both cases and asked anyone with information to call 736-7130. Callers may remain anonymous. Tips may also be submitted to law enforcement through Delaware Crime Stoppers at 800-TIP-3333 or online at delawarecrimestoppers.com; a cash reward of up to $1,000 is possible for information leading to an arrest.

Wave of shootings

The city has seen a wave of shooting incidents in less than a month.

“The department is responding with a multi-pronged approach to some of the recent incidents that have occurred,” Cpl. Hoffman said.

“We have made arrests and seized several guns as a result of those efforts, but we still need support from the community.

“Often times, these incidents have occurred when people are in the area. The smallest detail can help solve a case and lead to an arrest, but we need the community to help by coming forward and providing those details.”

While police could not disclose any details on whether any of the shootings may be linked, “we are certainly investigating the possibility of any of these incidents being connected in some way. This also includes working with other agencies, such as the Delaware State Police, who have handled incidents in their jurisdiction,” Cpl. Hoffman said.

Regarding the recent incidents, Cpl. Hoffman said, “we have made progress in several cases but cannot disclose details at this time in order to protect the investigation.”

Recent incidents detailed

Other recent Dover area shootings include:
Dover PD jurisdiction
Jan. 1, 1:20 a.m., 2 injuries, 400 block Collins Drive
Dec. 31, 1:32 a.m., 1 injury, 100 block Haman Drive
Dec. 30, 10:52 p.m., 1 injury, 400 block Barrister Place
Dec. 30, 2:47 a.m., 2 injuries, 100 block S. New Street
Dec. 27, 9:12 p.m., home struck, unit block S. New Street
Dec. 24, 7:39 p.m., 2 homes struck, S. New and Reed streets
Dec. 23, 9:10 p.m., Rite Aid struck twice, U.S. 13 at Webbs Lane
Delaware State Police jurisdiction
Dec. 28, 6:52 p.m., residence, 2 vehicles struck, State Circle in Capital Park
Dec. 27, 9:12 p.m., 1 injured, 200 block S. Governors Boulevard, Capital Park
Dec. 23, 1:15 a.m., 1 injured, N. Governors Boulevard, Capital Park