Man injured in Dover shooting

DOVER — A 22-year-old man suffered a gunshot wound to his right arm early Thursday morning in the Dover area’s fifth reported shooting incident in a month.

According to Dover Police, the man suffered a non-life threatening injury and was transported by private vehicle to Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital for treatment. Police responded to the area of South Governors Avenue north of Reed Street for a shots fired report at approximately 2:02 a.m., spokesman Master Cpl. Mark Hoffman said.

Police said no suspect description or further information could be disclosed “at this time.” It was believed that others witnessed the shooting and others were possibly in the vicinity at the time.

The relationship between shooter and wounded man was “unknown at this time,” Cpl. Hoffman said. It was unknown how the suspect left the scene.

Police said investigation continued and asked anyone with information to call 736-7130. Callers may remain anonymous. Tips can also be submitted to law enforcement through tip lines maintained by Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333 or online at www.tipsubmit.com.

Other incidents within the last month time period included:

• June 22 when Sylvester Lee, 41, of Clayton, died just over 30 minutes after being shot at Liberty Court Apartments at 1289 Walker Road. Police were called to the scene at approximately 9:41 p.m. found Mr. Lee lying on the ground with several gunshot wounds in the torso, authorities said. He was transported to Kent General, where he was pronounced dead at approximately 10:15 p.m.

• June 20 when a 19-year-old man was taken to a hospital after being shot in the 100 block of President Drive in the Capitol Park neighborhood. Delaware State Police were called to the hospital at approximately 10:30 p.m. A State Police spokesman said “The victim reported seeing a suspect wearing a dark colored sweatshirt running into the woods.”

The single gunshot to the upper torso was non-life-threatening, police said.

• June 12 when two unknown men began shooting towards two females standing in the area of Periwinkle Drive and Caroline Place at approximately 11:17 p.m. No injuries were reported and an unoccupied vehicle was hit by gunfire. Police said several shell casings were located.

The suspects fled southbound on Caroline Place, police said.

• June 6 when a 36-year-old man was shot in the head during a drive-by incident at approximately 9:29 p.m. in the Manchester Square neighborhood. Police said an unknown suspect or suspects drove by a unit block residence on Stevenson Drive and multiple gunshots followed.

The wounded man was taken to Kent General by others at the scene, authorities said. He was then hospitalized in stable condition.

Reach staff writer Craig Anderson at canderson@newszap.com

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment