No injuries reported after gun discharge at Central Middle

DOVER — Police said two students were arrested and a firearm recovered after a gunshot was fired Tuesday afternoon inside a restroom at Central Middle School.

A bomb threat had been received at the school in the morning and the unrelated gunshot was investigated in the early afternoon.

No explosives were found at Central Middle and no injuries resulted after the firearm was discharged, police said.

Elsewhere, a rash of bomb threats to schools continued Tuesday throughout Delaware, with other incidents reported in Milford, Lewes, Millsboro, Greenwood and Wilmington, according to authorities.

In Maryland, bomb threats were reported at elementary schools in Ocean City and Delmar.

Just after 1 p.m. Dover Police Department announced it was at Central Middle after a gunshot was reported at 211 Delaware Ave.

According to authorities, the incident occurred at approximately 12:15 p.m. Officers responded immediately and took two suspects in custody, and a firearm was found, spokesman Master Cpl. Mark Hoffman said.

Later Tuesday, Dover PD reported that Aaron Carrillo, 12, and Nasir Bush, 13, were both facing charges of  possession of handgun by prohibited juvenile, possession of a weapon in safe school zone, and carry a concealed deadly weapon. Bush was also charged with criminal mischief, and Carrillo charged with theft of a firearm.

Authorities said investigation found that Carrillo allegedly stole the gun from his father and brought it to school, and Bush allegedly took the weapon from a locker before it discharged in a bathroom.

It was not initially known if the gun was fired intentionally or not, police said.

In cooperation with Central Middle School staff, the school was placed on lockdown as a precaution as police and school staff checked the school for any additional issues. The school said the lockdown lasted about an hour, and police remained at the school to maintain a strong presence for the rest of the day.

Police said the incident was not believed to be connected to the bomb threat earlier in the morning.

According to Central Middle officials, the building was deemed safe by police and the fire marshal and classes resumed.

“We remained in a heightened security procedures throughout the day and during the course of the day a possible threat to student safety was identified,” a note on the school’s website said.

The school was to dismiss at the normal time. “As always, our students’ safety is our first concern,” according to the Central Middle website.

The school said parents picking up their children at the main office needed to show valid identification when signing out their child.

More threats reported

In Milford, police said a bomb threat was called into the high school, which prompted administrators to immediately start the process of evacuating and dismissing students. Taking part were high school and Milford Central Academy administrations, district office personnel and Milford Police Department school resource officers, authorities said.

According to Milford Police, Delaware State Police and Dover Air Force Base K-9 units searched the campus areas and deemed them safe. The school was then reopened to staff.

Milford School Superintendent Dr. Phyllis Kohel told the Milford Chronicle that both schools were dismissed early after the recorded call.

“There’s a limited number of bomb dogs with everything going on,” she said. “So it would take half the day to secure both buildings because they’re seen as one campus.”

Students who walk or drive to school were sent home on their own, with bus riders taken to one of four business or organization locations to escape the cold, the Chronicle reported.

“Because we can’t get our buses here right away, we are sending students to several locations,” Dr. Kohel said.

Milford law enforcement said it was working with other agencies regarding other area schools receiving similar threats.

Milford Police requested that anyone with information related to any threats call (302) 422-8081, or submitted via the Milford Police’s MyPD app or on social media outlets.

In a news release, Milford Police thanked “the students and parents effected by today’s threat for their understanding and cooperation with the dismissal process.”

Sussex County threats

On Tuesday morning, Delaware State Police said it investigated bomb threats at Millsboro Middle School at 302 E. State St. in Millsboro and Beacon Middle School at 19483 John J. Williams Highway in Lewes. Authorities said the incidents occurred at approximately 9:30 a.m.

The Greenwood Police Department said it responded to two anonymous bomb threats made against the Woodbridge Early Childhood Education Center. Students were evacuated to the Greenwood Fire Hall while K-9 units from the Capitol Police Department searched the premises. The Delaware State Police and Bridgeville Police also responded.

Once the building was found safe, police said, students returned to the building and the schedule returned to normal.

In New Castle County, threats were reported at Brandywine High School at 1400 Foulk Road and Stanton Middle School at 1800 Road, both in Wilmington.

Milford, Greenwood and state police both said information could be provided by calling Delaware Crime Stoppers at (800) TIP-3333 or at www.delaware.crimestoppersweb.com. Anonymous tips can be texted to 274637 (CRIMES) using the keyword “DSP,” authorities said.

Caesar Rodney responds

On Monday, police reported Caesar Rodney High was the scene of a bomb threat that proved unfounded.

CR School District Superintendent Dr. Kevin Fitzgerald said, “All calls are taken seriously. Once a call is received the State Police/local police are notified and the building is evacuated.

“The State Police/local police are for determining the credibility of the threat, for searching the building, and for notifying the administration when the building is cleared.

The missing class time may add to the original school calendar, Dr. Fitzgerald said.

Reach staff writer Craig Anderson at canderson@newszap.com

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.