Police: Allegedly stolen dog wounds child, two adults in Frederica

FREDERICA – A 4-year-old boy was hospitalized with several lacerations and two adults were seriously injured Sunday after an attack by a pit bull dog allegedly stolen shortly beforehand, Delaware State Police said.

According to spokesman Sgt. Richard Bratz, the boy was riding his bicycle near his home in the area of the 100 block of Fifth Street in Frederica when Roger O. Scarborough, 62, of Frederica, arrived nearby with a dog he allegedly took while trespassing at a home on Jackson Street.

The dog, restrained by a bungee cord, then “viciously attacked the little boy while he played near his residence,” Sgt. Bratz said.

Roger O. Scarborough

The boy’s 39-year-old mother and a 35-year-old male friend pulled the pit bull away from the child, suffering injuries in the process, police said. Troopers were called to the scene at approximately 12:36 p.m.

Police claimed Mr. Scarborough entered a yard and took control of the dog before fleeing. Following the attack, according to authorities, he returned the pit bull to its kennel, where it was located by arriving troopers.

A concerned neighbor called 911 and troopers and EMS arrived a few minutes later, police said. Witnesses said Mr. Scarborough had possession of the dog for a few minutes prior to the alleged incident.

The boy was transported to Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital in Dover and found to have lacerations to his right shoulder, face, back of his neck and scalp, police said. He was later taken to the Nemours/Alfred I. DuPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington and was in stable condition, police said.

The boy’s mother was taken to Kent General and treated for two open fractures to her left hand, along with a puncture wound to her right leg, authorities said. The family friend also went to Kent General for treatment on lacerations to his right hand.

Mr. Scarborough was taken into custody and transported to Troop 3 in Camden, police said. Charges included first-degree reckless endangering, creating a substantial risk of death to another, two counts of second-degree reckless endangering, third-degree criminal trespass and theft. He was arraigned before Justice of the Peace Court 7 in Dover and committed to Sussex Correctional Institution in Georgetown in lieu of $6,500 secured bond. The case was then transferred to the Court of Common Pleas.

The pit bull was turned over to The Delaware Office of Animal Welfare took control of the dog for quarantine and the owner has to provide proof the dog was vaccinated against rabies, Sgt. Bratz said. The owner said the dog was 3 years old, according to police, and the Delaware Division of Public Health said it weighed 70 pounds.

Investigation into the incident continues, police said.

Facebook Comment