Police: bicyclist assaulted in Rehoboth Beach

Matthew S. McDavid

REHOBOTH BEACH — A 33-year-old man was arrested after he allegedly ran a bicyclist off the road and assaulted him, Delaware State Police said.

Authorities alleged that the incident occurred on Sunday at approximately 11:12 a.m., when troopers responded to the area of Plantations Road, south of Cedar Grove Road for an assault complaint. Upon arrival, troopers made contact with a witness who said he was driving on Plantations Road when he saw a man beating a cyclist with an object, and immediately called 911, police said.

The bicyclist, a 50-year-old man from Milton, remained on scene and said he was riding his bike on Plantations Road south of Cedar Grove Road when a white work truck got really close to him and almost ran him off the road, police said. The person then drove by him and blew a loud horn next to him while he was riding his bike, police said. The man became startled and punched the driver’s side window of the truck, not causing any damage, police said.

The driver of the truck stopped his vehicle in the middle of the roadway, got out, and grabbed an object from the bed of the truck, and attempted to strike the bicyclist in the head, police said. The bicyclist was able to block the object with his forearm, causing him to sustain a laceration, police said. The bicyclist declined medical treatment at the scene.

The driver of the truck fled the scene, and was subsequently located in the Heritage Village development, police said. Troopers contacted the driver, 33-year-old Matthew McDavid, who was standing by the vehicle. He was taken into custody without incident, police said.

Police said the object allegedly used to strike the bicyclist, a large black in color wire/cable was recovered from the truck.
Mr. McDavid was transported to Troop 7 where he was charged with possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a felony, second-degree assault and unattended motor vehicle. He was arraigned before Justice of the Peace Court 3 and released on $3,001 unsecured bond.

Facebook Comment