Police: Dover man arrested for allegedly stealing two cars in Milford

“It was a dark and stormy night,” Pfc. Nigel Golding of the Milford Police Department said as he told the story of how his trainee, Ptlm. Patrick Karpin, caught a suspect in the act of stealing a vehicle.

In the midst of routine patrolling during a heavy rainstorm stemming from Hurricane Michael around 2:20 a.m. Oct. 12, Ptlm. Karpin noticed a vehicle moving erratically in Milford on North Rehoboth Blvd.

The car, a new, black Nissan Rogue, eventually started travelling north in a southbound lane. It came back before swerving on the wet road.

“For a reasonable person to be driving in the rain the way he was driving was a little bit odd,” Ptlm. Karpin recalled.

The lights of the police vehicle started flashing and Ptlm. Karpin, new to policing and only recently a graduate of the Delaware State Police Academy, began conducting a traffic stop in the 900 block of North Walnut Street with his trainer in the passenger seat. Pfc. Golding sat back, allowing Ptlm. Karpin to take the reins on a situation that would be unlike others he has handled.

Roy Perdow

“Upon first contact, his registration was fine. We had normal conversation, I was asking if he was OK and what’s going on,” he explained.

Then, the situation started to turn. He realized he had met this suspect before.

“I asked if it was his vehicle. He said his buddy Kevin Cash [Harding] let him borrow it,” Ptlm. Karpin said.

Backup was then requested to help with detaining 53-year-old Roy Perdow, also known as Roy Perkins, of Dover. Ptlm.

Karpin and Pfc. Golding worked the case alongside Sgt. Matthew Smith, S/Cpl. Kirk Marino, Cpl John Collins and Pfc. Branden Hartlove.

Sgt. Smith, who handled an earlier complaint for which Perdow was a suspect, plugged the VIN number of the vehicle into R. Addington Company’s website, discovering that it was most likely from their facility at 316 N Rehoboth Blvd in Milford.

Before driving six miles in the vehicle, Perdow drove it through a fence to get it out of Addington’s lot. The incident left behind scratches on the front of the vehicle, damaging the paint and body. He also allegedly threatened officers while in custody.

He later confessed to also stealing a vehicle from Walls Service Center in Milford Aug. 16, driving that vehicle through a bay door before finally exiting the building with the vehicle.

Perdow was charged with two counts of theft of a motor vehicle, three counts of terroristic threatening, two counts of criminal mischief, burglary in the third degree, driving while suspended, criminal trespassing in the second degree and failure to remain in a single lane. He was presented at the Justice of the Peace Court #2 where bail was set at $2,701 secured.

for the October investigation and $7,000 cash for the August investigation. Perdow was committed to the Sussex Correctional Institution and is scheduled for a preliminary hearing in the Kent County Court of Common Pleas Oct. 26.


Facebook Comment