Police: Felton woman used washcloth to suffocate grandson

FELTON — A 51-year-old Felton woman told police she suffocated her grandson with a washcloth on Sept. 18, and then attempted to kill herself by taking pills, hanging herself and drinking bleach, according to authorities in a probable cause affidavit.

Rilan M. Everett, 3, was found dead Tuesday morning at a residence in the unit block of Skinner Lane, Delaware State Police reported.

The discovery unfolded after Angela M. Bingham called 911 at approximately 8:38 a.m. and reported she had killed her grandson last week and wanted to harm herself, police said.

She was later charged with first-degree murder as the investigation continued.

Angela M. Bingham

Angela M. Bingham

State Police troopers and Kent County paramedics arrived at the home and located a decomposing child’s body lying on its back on a bed, authorities said.

According to police in an affidavit, a calendar hanging in the kitchen had “Dead, I love you Bubbie” written on Sept. 18.

Ms. Bingham was located by a Felton Police Department officer while walking in the area of Reeves Crossing and U.S. 13 near the Goose Creek Store in Felton, authorities said.

In court papers, police said Ms. Bingham, also identified by her maiden name Mossinger, was read her Miranda rights and then admitted — without being asked — to suffocating the child late at night on Sept. 18.

EMS transported the grandmother to Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital in Dover for examination. She was then released to the State Police police homicide unit and charged at Troop 3.

During an interview at 12:51 p.m., police said in papers, Ms. Bingham said she wanted to kill her grandson and herself.

“She tried turning the gas on in the residence but it did not work so she suffocated [her grandson] with a washcloth while he laid in bed,” according to authorities in charging documents.

“Bingham stated that [her grandson] was awake and she told him that it was time to go before she held the washcloth over his mouth and nose. She stated that he struggled for a while and then when he appeared to be dead she removed the washcloth.”

Afterward, Ms. Bingham said she burned incense and stuffed towels around the bedroom door to lessen the ensuing smell.

Ms. Bingham was held without bail at Delores J. Baylor Women’s Correctional Institution in New Castle.

The Delaware Division of Forensic Science removed the corpse to administer an autopsy determining the cause of death.

Detectives collected evidence and conducted interviews to determine circumstances of the incident.

Police said the child’s mother, who did not live at the residence, was notified of the incident at her workplace.

Facebook Comment