Scott convicted of 2nd degree murder in Dover robbery/shooting

Brett A. Scott

DOVER — Brett A. Scott was convicted in Superior Court Thursday of second-degree murder in the June 2017 shooting death of Dequan Dukes in Dover.

Scott is facing 21 years to life in prison for convictions on second-degree murder, attempted robbery, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony and conspiracy.

The murder took place June 27 last year outside Pine Grove Apartments complex in Dover.

According to Dover Police, Mr. Dukes was shot to death after allegedly exchanging gunfire with Scott.

Alleged accomplice Lisa Wagaman testified earlier this week that the original plan was to conduct a “grab his stuff type robbery.”

Ms. Wagaman, also charged in the case and scheduled for trial this fall, testified that she saw Scott approach the vehicle Mr. Dukes was shot in while parked at the apartment complex. But, she said she didn’t see him with a firearm and only heard gunshots after she had walked away from the scene and toward a building.

Ms. Wagaman is alleged to have arranged a meeting with Mr. Dukes prior to the shootout. The meeting was supposedly set up to steal a bag full of drugs and money with the assistance of two other men also charged in the case.

According to Ms. Wagaman, the plan was for her to keep Mr. Dukes occupied in the front seat while an alleged accomplice opened the vehicle’s back door and took the bag.

As Ms. Wagaman exited the vehicle, she said Scott approached and asked Mr. Dukes for a cigarette as she walked away and never turned around.

After the gunfire, she said she ran into an apartment building.

A Dover Police detective also testified earlier this week that blood evidence placed Scott at the scene, along with Mr. Dukes’ DNA on a 9mm semiautomatic firearm found inside his vehicle.

A medical examiner’s report determined that Mr. Dukes died from a gunshot wound to the chest, with lacerations to his heart and lungs.

Scott was dropped off at Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital in Dover with wounds to the chest, ankle and hands prosecutors said on Tuesday.

Deputy Attorneys General Jason Cohee and Stephen Smith secured the conviction. Attorney Patrick J. Collins was representing Scott. Judge Jeffrey J. Clark oversaw the trial.

According to the Department of Justice, a Superior Court judge will sentence Scott in September.

Reach the Delaware State News newsroom at newsroom@newszap.com

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment