Suspect captured after 2-mile high speed chase


LAUREL — A wanted 28-year-old Laurel man led police on a two-mile chase Sunday morning, crashing into two vehicles before being caught, police said.

During a K-9 search, David S. Burns was found in a small ditch hiding behind a broken toilet after fleeing from a silver Mercedes-Benz vehicle with a stolen license plate, according to Delaware State Police.

He was taken into custody without further incident, police said.

Police were on the lookout for the Mercedes-Benz after a 911 dispatch from the Sussex Emergency Operations Center at 9:23 a.m., authorities said.

A suspect vehicle was spotted by a trooper at approximately 11:36 a.m. on Seaford Road near the intersection of Discount Land Road, police said.

David S. Burns

Through a computer check, the patrolman confirmed the vehicle had a fictitious registration as it pulled into the Food Lion parking lot at 30214 Sussex Highway (U.S. 13), police said.

The trooper then activated his emergency equipment and made a traffic stop.

The suspect then allegedly drove away and out of the parking lot as the trooper walked toward the vehicle, police said. Later, the Mercedes-Benz bypassed another patrol vehicle positioned to block its path on Discount Land Road and U.S. 13.

The fleeing vehicle continued south on U.S. 13 toward County Landing Road (Del. 9), police said, overtaking several vehicles before entering the right lane and passing on the shoulder.

“Authorities described the suspect driving “in an aggressive manner.”

The suspect’s vehicle continued to speed and disregard police signals, traveling the wrong way and ignoring a red light before the chase was discontinued near Trussum Pond Road in the area of Old Stage Road, authorities said.

Two collisions

After a U-turn onto U.S. 13, the Mercedes-Benz ran a red light and crashed into a northbound 2015 Ford F-150 driven by a 55-year-old Virginia man, police said.

The vehicle continued on, striking a 2016 Ford 4H driven by a 66-year-old Millsboro woman.

After the second collision, the suspect exited his vehicle and fled on foot into the wooded area near Trussum Pond Road where he was captured.

The driver from Virginia was uninjured, while the Millsboro woman was evaluated and treated for minor injuries after transport to Nanticoke Memorial Hospital in Seaford, police said.

Both drivers were wearing seat belts at the time of impact, police said.

Mr. Burns was taken to the hospital, treated for non-life threatening injuries and released, police said.

Charges included possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a felony, reckless endangering, receiving stolen property, resisting arrest, vehicular assault, leaving the scene of a collision resulting in injury, disregarding a police officer signal, aggressive driving, reckless driving, driving without a valid license and other traffic-related offenses.

Mr. Burns was arraigned through Justice of the Peace Court 3 and committed to Sussex Correctional Institution in Georgetown in default of $26,360 cash bond.

He was also issued a $5,570 secured bond for the earlier burglary, theft and criminal mischief charges.

On Jan. 2, Mr. Burns allegedly led police on a vehicle pursuit based on a stolen tag detected by the Seaford Police Department, authorities said.

State Police in Bridgeville’s Troop 5 had a felony warrant for the earlier charges.

Facebook Comment