Trial date for former Caesar Rodney coach, teacher delayed

DOVER — The case of a former Caesar Rodney High teacher and coach indicted on 50 felony charges for an alleged improper sexual relationship with a female student will be addressed in Kent County Superior Court next week, officials said Tuesday.

After a Final Case Review, the Delaware Department of Justice said the matter against Richard L. Howell, 51, of Wyoming, was on control, and no trial will be held on Jan. 19 as earlier scheduled.

Richard L. "Dickie" Howell

Richard L. “Dickie” Howell

No judge had been assigned, the DOJ said on Tuesday.

Mr. Howell earlier pleaded not guilty to sexual child abuse and sexual solicitation charges against him. He was arrested on Jan. 14, 2015, and indicted by a Kent County grand jury on April 6, 2015.

The alleged offense date was listed as Feb. 8, 2015, in court papers.

Defense lawyer Alex Funk is representing Mr. Howell, while Deputy Attorney General Kathleen Dickerson is prosecuting for the state.

The Caesar Rodney School District earlier said it accepted Mr. Howell’s resignation after the indictment.

Reach staff writer Craig Anderson at canderson@newszap.com

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.