Trial of former CR coach scheduled for early 2016

DOVER — The jury trial of a former Caesar Rodney High teacher and wrestling coach indicted on 50 felony counts in connection with an alleged sexual relationship with a female student has been moved to early next year, the Delaware Department of Justice said Monday.

Richard L. "Dickie" Howell

Richard L. Howell

Richard L. Howell, 51, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree sexual abuse of a child in a position of trust, authority or supervision (43 counts) and sexual solicitation of a child (seven counts), and now has a final case review scheduled for Jan. 12, 2016, officials said, with a trial scheduled to begin seven days later.

Previously, Mr. Howell’s trial was slated to start Monday morning in Kent County Superior Court, but the matter was continued.

Prior to that, a September trial date was continued as well after a request by the defense for more time.

After being indicted on April 6, Mr. Howell pleaded not guilty to all charges on April 30. He was arrested on Jan. 14 and the date of alleged offense was listed as March 1, 2014, in court papers.

Attorney Alex Funk is representing Mr. Howell; Deputy Attorney General Kathy Dickerson is prosecuting for the state.

Facebook Comment