Two men convicted in fatal stabbing in Dover

DOVER — Two men charged after a July 2014 stabbing death in Dover have been convicted of manslaughter, officials said this week.

According to the Delaware Department of Justice, Kinon Teat, of Felton, pleaded guilty on March 17 and was given four years in prison.

Co-defendant Shaquille Bolden, of Dover, took a no contest plea on Tuesday in Kent County Superior Court and awaits sentencing on May 26.

Shaquille T. Bolden

Shaquille T. Bolden

Describing Bolden’s resolution as a “nolo contendre,” defense attorney André Beauregard said, “The state would have had a difficult time proving murder one against our client.

“Manslaughter can be interpreted as a reckless act and he wasn’t the main culprit …”

Deputy Attorney General Jason Cohee declined comment on Bolden’s resolution on Tuesday; Deputy Attorney General Zachary George prosecuted the earlier case against Teat.

Judge Robert Young ordered a pre-sentence investigation on Bolden, who was 19 when a 20-year-old Dover man was stabbed in the unit block of South New Street on July 23, 2014. A large fight preceded the incident, Dover Police Department said.

Mr. Beauregard said he is seeking a two-year sentence, the minimum mandatory time for the charge.

“I’m assuming the PSI will be very favorable to him, and in consideration of the mitigating report done by our

Kinon D. Teat Jr.

Kinon D. Teat Jr.

experts and his psychological evaluation, (I believe Bolden) will get less time than the other co-defendant.”

Dropped charges against the men included possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a felony (two

counts), riot, possession of a deadly weapon by a person prohibited and second-degree conspiracy.

Teat was 18 at the time of the incident, Dover police said. A 25-year Level V sentence was suspended for four years, followed by nine months of work release and then two years Level III probation.

The wounded man died on Aug. 11, 2014, after being admitted to and operated on at Bayhealth Kent-General Hospital in Dover immediately after he was stabbed, police said.

On July 24, 2013, police said, Teat and Bolden turned themselves in at Delaware State Police Troop 3 and were then held at James T. Vaughn Correctional Center near Smyrna on secured bond.

Facebook Comment