Wyoming man faces 20 charges after car chase

HARRINGTON — A 54-year-old Wyoming man reached speed in excess of 80 mph as police chased him for several miles early Wednesday afternoon, Harrington Police said in a news release and court documents.

Todd I. Mahrenholz was facing 29 charges and violations, including nine felonies, when finally apprehended on South State Street south of Rising Sun Road, spokesman Capt. Earl K. Brode.

The pursuit began in the Midway Shopping Center in Harrington as officers were conducting a welfare check, authorities said.

Mr. Mahrenholz was driving a 2008 Ford F150 with a black trailer in tow at the time, police said.

Harrington police were assisted by officers from Felton, Wyoming, Camden and Delaware State Police.

Police were initially called to the scene at 2000 Midway Drive for a reported person inside the Pain Management Center acting disoriented and possibly under the influence of some drug, authorities said.

According to police, Mr. Mahrenholz sped out of the shopping center’s parking lot when first approached by officers.

A Harrington policeman suffered minor injury to the arm when struck by a mirror on the fleeing vehicle, authorities said. A Wyoming officer later avoided being hit by moving out of the vehicle’s path, police said.

Officers with emergency lights and sirens engaged followed as the vehicle traveled across a concrete island onto northbound U.S. 13, police said. An officer pulled alongside the vehicle and signaled for it to stop with no success, police said.

The vehicle swerved toward a police cruiser and forced it into the median near Winkler Road, police said in court documents.

DSP units were staged at the intersection of South Layton Avenue and Apple Tree Lane, but police said that Mr. Mahrenholz accelerated away after initially stopping.

A vehicle was struck, causing an estimated $10,000 damage, along with another parked vehicle.

The defendant’s vehicle traveled through a residential yard into a WSFS bank parking lot, then turned onto Pine Street heading the wrong way, police said. Eventually the vehicle made multiple turns on streets before returning back through the parking lot and yard, authorities said.

Eventually, police said, Mr. Mahrenholz’s vehicle became disabled due to mechanical problems on South State Street and he was taken into custody without further incident.

Mr. Mahrenholz was taken to Bayhealth-Milford Memorial Hospital for a blood draw. Police said results were pending.

Charges included second-degree assault (injure a law enforcement officer), first-degree reckless endangering (four counts), criminal mischief over $5,000 (three counts), disregarding a police officer signal, second-degree reckless endangering, malicious mischief by a motor vehicle, reckless driving, driving under the influence of drugs and several other traffic violations, police said.

Mr. Mahrenholz was arraigned via video phone at Justice of the Peace Court 2 in Rehoboth Beach and committed to Sussex Correctional Institution in default of $50,250 secured bond.

Facebook Comment