Elections board won’t conduct special vote for Capital school board vacancy

DOVER — Capital school board members have to scrap their plan to hold a special election to fill Brian Lewis’ seat on the school board, Superintendent Dr. Michael Thomas said at their meeting Wednesday.

Because officials from the Board of Elections said they wouldn’t run a special election, the board will instead need to appoint someone to finish the rest of Mr. Lewis’ term.

Mr. Lewis, whose term expires in 2016, ran for Dover city council uncontested. The district received Mr. Lewis’ resignation May 8, Dr. Thomas said, before he was sworn in to city council on Monday. The board will need to post the position and appoint a replacement in July.

Construction news

At the meeting, Kevin Lucas, senior project manager at EDiS Company, gave the board a construction update.

Workers completed interior demolition in the historic wing at Booker T. Washington Elementary School, he said, and they’re reassembling floors and walls.

Students are using a newer part of the building — the historic wing had been sealed off for several years.

At the old high school, interior demolition work is moving forward. The main demolition is set for the end of May.

At the new high school, workers are starting a final punch list for baseball and softball fields. The maintenance building for the ball fields arrives next week, Mr. Lucas said, and workers are getting permits for the baseball building.

Odds and ends

At their meeting, the board also heard about the proposed “Student Success Guide,” which will replace the district’s code of conduct.

The new guide is more user-friendly, said Tonya Guinn, supervisor of student support services.

The new “Student Success Guide,” outlines a multi-tiered approach to supporting students.

In other Capital news, through a partnership with the Food Bank of Delaware, the Harry K. Foundation and Communities in Schools, district staff plan to open a food pantry.

The pantry, which will serve needy district families, will be housed at Kent County Secondary Intensive Learning Center.

Finally, plans to replace old lockers at William Henry Middle School are on hold for another year.

Because the district would be ordering so many lockers, Dr. Thomas said, they would take four to six weeks for delivery.

With the wait for delivery, Dr. Thomas said he wasn’t “totally assured” the work would be done by the start of the school year in August.

In the meantime, the lockers are just unsightly — they’re not a danger to students, Dr. Thomas said.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Facebook Comment