Camden-Wyoming forces second game for Junior title



MILFORD — Camden-Wyoming used an 11-run sixth inning rally to defeat Felton-Harrington, 15-11, in the Junior Baseball District I finals on Thursday night.

The victory, marking Felton-Harrington’s first loss of the tournament, forces a second game tonight at 7 p.m. in Milford to decide District I representative in the state tournament.

The state tourney, being hosted by New Castle County’s District II, starts on July 26.

“We’ve been telling them this whole tournament that it’s a seven-inning game. We’ve been slow the first couple of innings, but for some reason this team has a no-quit attitude and right around the fifth inning I felt like the win was coming our way,” said Camden-Wyoming coach Larry Keller.

The win didn’t come easy for Camden-Wyoming. Patience was key in the four-run victory.

Felton-Harrington broke the game open early on, plating nine runs through the first three innings against Camden-Wyoming pitchers Nate Keller and Alex Bauer.

J.J. Marshall, Chase Killen, Byron Freeland and Christian Aldrich each drove in first-inning runs for Felton-Harrington.

Down 9-0, Camden-Wyoming got back in the game with three runs in the bottom of the third.

Another run in the bottom of the fifth inning pulled Camden-Wyoming to with five runs, 9-4. A pair of Felton-Harrington runs in the top of the sixth inning put coach Matt Berardicelli’s squad back up 11-4.

That’s when things started to turn around for Camden-Wyoming.

The 11-run sixth inning rally was sparked by Nate Keller’s lead-off single to centerfield. Camden-Wyoming drew four walks over the next five at-bats, and ended up scoring five of those 11 runs off walks.

Camden-Wyoming hitters started to work the counts and put runners on base. Those base-runners translated into runs for Keller’s squad.

Nate Garrison took over on the mound for Camden-Wyoming in the top of the third inning. He recorded the final out of the inning and finished the remaining four innings on the mound for Keller, surrendering just the two runs in the sixth inning and shutting down Felton-Harrington’s bats in the top of the seventh to complete the comeback.

“He had a great performance,” Keller said. “I wasn’t expecting him to go that far. We started with my son on the mound. They [Keller and Bauer] were hitting their spots but we just weren’t getting the outs. Bauer did a nice job getting us through the middle, but ultimately it came down to little Nate Garrison. He’s only 14 years old, but he can pitch a great game.”

“It wasn’t easy,” Garrison said of their comeback win. “Early in the game we made a lot of mistakes. We definitely didn’t start off too well. A lot of us thought there wasn’t really any coming back, but once Nate Keller hit that first one he fired us up.”



Facebook Comment