Daly, Allen lead Hens to 58-56 victory over UNCW in CAA opener

WILMINGTON, N.C. — Ryan Daly scored Delaware’s final six points before Seahawks guard Jaylen Forbes missed a three-pointer at the buzzer as the Blue Hens pulled out a hard-fought 58-56 victory over UNCW Saturday night at Trask Coliseum in both teams’ Colonial Athletic Association opener.

Delaware (8-6, 1-0 CAA), which won its fourth consecutive game, trailed 56-54 before Daly converted a three-point play in the paint to give the Blue Hens a one-point lead with 50 seconds left. After two missed jumpers by UNCW’s Jordon Talley, Daly hit one free throw with eight seconds remaining to put the Blue Hens up two.

Daly then missed the second foul shot, but Chyree Walker grabbed the offensive rebound and was fouled. Walker then misfired on two free throws, and after Daly corralled the rebound, he was fouled but missed two from the line. UNCW (3-10, 0-1 CAA) had a final chance after calling time out with 2.2 seconds to play, but Forbes’ off-balance three-point attempt from the right corner was off the mark.

“I’m really proud of our team. It wasn’t the prettiest effort but we were able to come out with the win,” said Blue Hen coach Martin Ingelsby. “Controlling the tempo was important, and I’m proud of our defensive effort. We slowed down Talley and made Cacok work inside. This was a typical hard-fought CAA game, and I’m happy to get out with the win.”

UD freshman Ryan Allen led the Blue Hens in scoring for the second game in a row with 14 points, and drained four three-pointers in the second half. Daly added 13 points and seven rebounds, while Eric Carter contributed eight points and a team-high 10 boards.

“Ryan Allen had a terrific second half. His three-pointers gave us momentum and kept us in the game,” said Ingelsby.

Talley finished with 15 points for the Seahawks, while Devontae Cacok grabbed 19 rebounds.

UNCW scored first nine points of the game, but Delaware quickly answered with 10 straight points of its own and went up 18-11 on an Anthony Mosley layup at the 12:06 mark. The Blue Hens led the rest of the half, and were up as many as seven before a Talley jumper in the final seconds made it a 31-26 game at the break.

Delaware led 34-28 early in the second half following a Walker three-pointer, but UNCW reeled off eight consecutive points to go back in front 36-34 with 15:08 to play. The Seahawks extended the margin to seven, but Allen drilled a pair of three-pointers during an 8-1 Blue Hen spurt to bring Delaware even at 44-44 with nine minutes remaining.

The Blue Hens went back in front 52-50 following two more triples by Allen, but UNCW answered with a Talley layup and two free throws by Forbes to regain the lead with 3:15 left before UD’s final rally.


• Delaware won its fourth straight game, the program’s longest since a five-game streak at the end of the 2013-14 season

• The Blue Hens snapped a three-game losing streak in CAA openers, and a three-game losing skid in Trask Coliseum

• Delaware halted UNCW’s five-game winning streak in the series

• Daly reached double figures for the 12th straight game

• Delaware tied its season-low with seven turnovers

• The Blue Hens held UNCW to its lowest point total of the season

• Delaware won its fifth game outside of Newark, surpassing last year’s total

• Kevin Anderson missed his second straight game with a knee injury.

Facebook Comment