IR earns Div. II soccer final; Cape falls to Sals 1-0 in OT in Div. I

SMYRNA — It could have been a memorable day for the Kilby family.

Imagine having a father’s team playing for one state championship followed by his son’s squad playing for a state crown right afterward.

It almost happened.

Coach Steve Kilby’s fifth-seeded Indian River High team earned its second trip to the DIAA Division II boys’ soccer state finals in the last three years with a 2-0 victory over No. 8 Archmere at Appoquinimink on Wednesday night.

But Patrick Kilby’s third-seeded Cape Henlopen team couldn’t quite complete the downstate doubleader as the Vikings fell to No. 2 Salesianum, 1-0, in overtime in the Division I semifinals on Wednesday at Smyrna High.

The state championship games will be played on Saturday at Smyrna.

In Division II, Indian River (14-5) plays No. 2 Caravel (15-3) at 5 p.m. while, in Division I, Sallies (13-3-1) takes on fourth-seeded Wilmington Charter (14-3) at approximately 7 p.m.

After capturing their first state championship two years ago, the Indians lost to Caravel in the semifinals a year ago. The Indians, who got two goals from junior forward Mikie Mochiam, were motivated by that memory on Wednesday.

“I’m sure it was in the back of their head that they probably left something on the table,” said Steve Kilby, who’s taking a IR team to the finals for the third time. “We had a team last year that was really good. We’re just glad to be back here. We’ve said think about how bad that last game was that we lost. Let’s put that feeling in a bottle and hold onto it.”

Against the Auks, IR needed just 48 seconds to take the lead for good. Mochiam who has scored the game-winner in three of the Indians’ last four games, netted the goal from close range.

IR’s defense took over from there, posting its third straight shutout in the tournament and eighth for the season.

Archmere did pick up its attack early in the first half. But the Indians, led by goalie Ian Walls and center backs Patrick Mochiam and Max Stong were up to the challenge.

Walls finished with seven saves.

Finally, Wilberth Gomez made a nice run and centered the ball for Mochiam, who took his time settling the ball before knocking in the insurance goal.

“We’ve been doing a pretty good of staying organized and the guys have been working hard,” said Steve Kilby.

Steve Kilby made it to Smyrna in time to see a tough ending for his son Patrick’s Cape squad.

In the final two minutes of the first 10-minute overtime, the Sals sent in a along free kick from almost 60 yards. Sallies’ sophomore Gavin Ford volleyed the ball out of the air, sending it past Vikings’ goalie Brent Hochrein.

“It was just a one on one,” said Hocherin. “He put it away nicely.”

Hocherin had been brilliant most of the night, finishing with six saves in the contest. He stopped Ford a couple times, making a nice one-handed save from point-blank range with about 18 minutes remaining in regulation.

“Brent stood on his head,” said Patrick Kilby. “It was a fantastic effort. I can’t say enough about him.”

Sallies will be going for its sixth straight state title on Saturday and its 10th in the last 11 seasons. But Cape (15-2) will know it pushed the Sals to the limit.

The Vikings lost in the semifinals for the third straight year.

“I’ve never had a team fight that hard,” said Kilby. “There wasn’t an ounce of intimidation in these guys. I’m sorry it ended the way it did.

“It (the goal) had to be quality to beat us tonight. It really had to have been.”

Facebook Comment