Tyndall goal pushes Lake Forest past IR in D-II field hockey tourney opener

Lake Forest’s Kaitlyn Stahre hit’s past Indian River’s Kaleigh Cordrey and Kaylee Hill at Lake Forest. (Delaware State News/Marc Clery)

FELTON — Lake Forest field hockey defeated Indian River, 1-0, in the first round of the DIAA Division II field hockey state tournament Tuesday night in Felton.

It took nearly 53 minutes of scoreless play, but junior Julianna Tyndall finally broke a 0-0 scoreless tie with 7:09 to spare in the game to capture the one-goal victory.

“It was a great feeling. This is any high school athlete’s dream, to score the game-winner,” Tyndall said. “This is my favorite team I’ve ever played on, so just to score that goal felt amazing.”

The win sets up Saturday morning’s second-round showdown between No. 5 Lake Forest and No. 4 Archmere Academy.

Lake Forest’s Riley Wood, left, battles against Indian River’s Rylie Cordrey at Lake Forest.

During the regular season, the two teams played to a 0-0 tie and it appeared this game would end in overtime as well prior to Tyndall’s game-winner.

“It was a relief getting the goal, but then you’re always afraid because you know how hungry they are after getting scored against,” said head coach Michele Tucker. “I do feel like we dominated most of the play, their goalie and their defense did a nice job defending us.”

The rainy conditions put a damper on both team’s offensive attacks, but Lake Forest managed to earn 12 penalty corners. They were just unable to finish and put the ball past IR goalkeeper Mya Parkers until late in the game.

Lake Forest’s Elle Wood reaches against Indian River’s Jessica Rybicki at Lake Forest.

“It was a different game. We couldn’t connect with the ball, a lot of swings and misses. I know warming up they said their hands were cold. That grip, that numbness in your hands is a different feeling,” Tucker said.

Parks made 10 saves on 13 Lake shots, until Tyndall finally snuck her shot past the IR goalkeeper.

Lake Forest’s Kaitlyn Stahre hit’s a shot on goal against Indian River at Lake Forest.

“We had possession of the ball most of the game, we just couldn’t capitalize by putting the ball in the cage. Jules was in position she needed to be, she did her job and she did it well. It’s very exciting to be on our home turf, and I don’t know the last time Lake Forest field hockey made it to the second round.”

“They are amazing,” Tyndall said of her teammates. “I love them all so much and they were so hard. Alexis, she was back there, and she saved us so many times. And our goalie, August Lewis, she might be one of the best in the state but I might be biased.”

After defeating Sussex Tech, 1-0 in overtime, in similar weather conditions earlier in the season, Lake Forest knew they had what it took to come out on top winners in the torrential downpour.

“It’s hard because the ball is slippery, but we played Sussex Tech in the same weather and we won in overtime. So, it was kind of like déjà vu. When it got down to about 20 minutes left in the game I thought ‘oh no, don’t let this go into overtime,’ but I have all the faith in this team and I knew we would pull it out in the end.”

Facebook Comment