Lake Forest blanks Milford 2-0 for 3rd straight field hockey shutout

Milford’s Sara Wallace, right, chases the ball as Lake Forest’s Bethany Lawson gives chase at Milford on Thursday. Delaware State News/Marc Clery

MILFORD — Lake Forest High junior Maycee Collison scored a pair of goals and junior goalkeeper August Lewis made eight saves as the Spartans defeated Milford High 2-0 in Henlopen Conference fieeld hockey on Thursday.

“We passed the ball really well,” said Collison. “I feel like we had good give-and-go’s, we utilized the left — which I think we should utilize the right more — but overall I think we did really good passing the ball and just utilizing our space.”

“I’m very proud of their overall performance,” said Lake coach Michele Tucker. “Their passing seems to be getting better, we’re connecting more — which we were a little bit off in the first two games of this season.”

Lake Forest’s Jessica Tyndall takes a shot on goal as Milford’s Sara Wallace and goalie Isabella Keesler-Evans defend.

Following a season-opening 5-0 loss to Delmar and a 2-2 tie with Sussex Tech, Lake Forest (3-1-1) has now posted three consecutive shutouts.

“I think getting some of the tough games out of the way, we now have the confidence to know we’ll do well later in the season,” Lewis said of the tough early-season schedule.

The Spartans’ 2-0 shutout of the Bucs (2-4) followed a 2-0 win over Caesar Rodney and a 6-0 win over Laurel last week.

Milford’s Olivia Muir, left, and Lake Forest’s Julianna Tyndall battle for the ball.

“My defense is always strong, I rotated it to keep fresh legs in,” said Tucker. “We just seem to be a more defensive team than an offensive team, so my defense saves the day on most days.”

Collison broke the scoreless tie at the 15:19 mark of the first half, netting a goal past Milford’s sophomore goalkeeper Isabella Keesler-Evans.

“I just saw open space,” Collison said. “What happened was someone took a shot, no one was in the space, I saw the ball and I just took the shot. I just felt like it was open, so why not take it?”

Lake Forest’s Elle Wood brings the ball up field against Milford.

Both teams failed to produce many more offensive opportunities for the remaining 15 minutes of the opening half.

Ahead 1-0 at the halftime break, Collison scored her second goal at the 24:48 mark of the second half, tapping the ball in through a sea of Milford defenders.

“Well, it was a cluster,” Collison explained. “What happened was the goalie was down a little bit — she was kicking it — I had it in her pads. I pulled back and got it into the defense but then I ended up lifting over to get it in the cage.”

The goal, Collison’s fourth of the season, put Lake ahead 2-0. But Milford’s offense made a late push in an attempt to mount a second-half comeback.

Four of the Bucs’ six penalty corners came in the second half, but goalie August Lewis and her back line held strong to preserve the shutout.

“My back line, they are phenomenal,” said Lewis. “I can always count on them no matter who we go against. They’re very reliable and we communicate well.

“We’ve been practicing corners and we changed our corner defense to where we can usually get the ball out.”

“I am biased when it comes to August Lewis, because not only is she a heck of a goalkeeper and saves our butt on most days, August is just a really good person,” Tucker said of her goalie.

Lake finished with seven penalty corners to Milford’s six.

Facebook Comment