Lake Forest erases 19-point deficit, tops Glasgow 35-27

GLASGOW — With one hand, Ben Moore pulled Lake Forest High out of an early hole.

With two hands, Jordan Simpson sealed a Spartan victory.

Catches by Moore and Simpson along with two rushing touchdowns by Trevon Milton led Lake Forest to a 35-27 nonconference football victory at Glasgow High on Friday night as the Spartans overcame a 19-point deficit after the first quarter.

“We’re Spartans and Spartan football means we don’t give up,” Moore said.

Lake Forest scored 28 unanswered points in the second and third quarters to erase Glasgow’s 19-0 lead. The Spartans held a 35-27 advantage with 1:30 left and Glasgow needed to go 72 yards and get a two-point conversion to tie.

The Dragons came pretty close.

Glasgow worked its way into Lake Forest territory and found itself facing a fourth down on the Lake 21 with 11 seconds remaining. That’s when Simpson intercepted his second pass of the game in the end zone.

This type of game has become the norm for the Spartans (5-2). Every contest the Spartans have been involved in this season has been decided by eight points or less.

“We know that with the games we’ve already played that anything is possible,” Simpson said. “We could be getting beat 50-0 and we wouldn’t give up. Anything is possible with the season we’ve been having.”

Everything that could go wrong for Lake in the first quarter did.

Glasgow scored twice on runs by Tavion Jones-Hill and got its third touchdown when Lake Forest intercepted a pass and Glasgow’s Ja’saan Cunningham wrestled the ball away during the return for a 32 yard score. The Spartans’ final play of the quarter was a fumble that was recovered by the Dragons.

Things finally started going Lake’s way when it forced a turnover on downs by the Dragons to begin the second. That’s when Noah Feague-Johnson connected with Moore on the left sideline to give the Spartans some momentum.

Moore reached out his left hand for a catch, cut back to his right while shifting the ball to his right hand and scampered all the way to the end zone for a 60-yard touchdown.

“I don’t even know,” Moore said. “I stuck my hand out and it landed right in my palm. Noah threw a great ball.”

After a Glasgow punt, the Spartans drove into Glasgow territory again with a drive that ended with a 29-yard touchdown by Milton with 4:25 left in the half.

All of a sudden the deficit looked quite manageable.

“Ben Moore made a heck of a catch,” said Lake coach Freddie Johnson. “Then we ran that end-around play to Trevon Milton. Once we scored those 14 points our kids realized that they could play with this team.”

Feague-Johnson gave the Spartans their first lead in the third quarter with an 18-yard run on a quarterback-keeper on an option play. Milton added to the lead with a 9-yard rush to close the third.

Glasgow closed the gap to 28-27 in the fourth but after Moore picked up a huge first down on third-and-long, Elle Harden scored the final touchdown of the night with a 14-yard run.

“Our guys didn’t panic and the coaches didn’t panic,” Johnson said. “We just settled down and started playing our type of football. Every game has been really close and that has forced these guys to grow up really quick. It builds character.”

Facebook Comment