Lake Forest hangs on to beat Woodbridge behind key FG

BRIDGEVILLE — The wind was whipping the raindrops right into Austin Aguilar’s face.

Clearly this wasn’t the ideal situation to kick a field goal, but with a chance to make it a two-score game, Augilar was out there for Lake Forest High.

Aguilar powered his kick through a nasty wind and fierce rain for key insurance points which turned out to be the difference in a 9-7 victory for the Spartans at Woodbridge High on Thursday night in the Henlopen Conference Southern Division opener for both teams.

“That was crucial,” said Lake coach Freddie Johnson. “Ben Moore, our snapper, had a great snap, our holder Jordan Simpson did a great job to see it and get it down. Austin did a great job too to get it through. Those were very crucial points.”’

The matchup was originally scheduled for tonight, but was moved to Thursday to try to avoid playing in the predicted severe weather, Still, most of the contest was play in a driving rainstorm with high gusts of wind blowing the rain across the field from the North to the South end zone.

Aguilar’s 20-yard field goal was set up by an interception at the end of the third quarter by Lake’s Jamier Brown which gave the Spartans the ball inside Woodbridge’s 15. But the Spartans (1-0 South, 2-2 overall) weren’t able to get the touchdown, leaving Aguilar trotting out for a field goal attempt.

The kick was made easier when Woodbridge jumped offside for a five-yard penalty. The Blue Raiders were able graze the ball after it left Aguilar’s foot but Aguilar had hit it hard enough so it cleared the goalposts with plenty of room to spare.

It gave Lake Forest a 9-0 lead with 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter. The Spartans had led for most of the game thanks to Trevon Milton’s 41-yard rushing touchdown in the first quarter.

But Woodbridge (0-1 South, 2-2 overall) mounted a comeback in the fourth.

Woodbridge lineman Shymere Vessels scooped up a Lake punt that was knocked backward to the line of scrimmage by the strong winds and scampered 65 yards for the Blue Raiders’ only touchdown of the game with seven minutes remaining.

The Blue Raiders defense forced another Spartan punt on the next possession, allowing them to take over on the Lake Forest 40-yard line.

Woodbridge kept its drive alive on third-and-nine when Terrique Riddick took a toss and was able to gain 10 yards to bring the Blue Raiders into the red zone. But they soon found themselves in a fourth-and-long situation.

Dawaunta Parker forced a turnover for Lake with a strip-sack to knock the ball out of the Woodbridge quarterback’s hands and Kyle Longhany was able to recover for the Spartans.

Moore then sealed it for the Lake Forest when he escaped Woodbridge’s defensive front for what looked to be a 56-yard rushing touchdown. It was called back for an illegal block, but since the infraction took place downfield, the run was still long enough for the first down and allowed the Spartans to run out the clock on the next three plays.

“Woodbridge had a great gameplan,” Johnson said. “Credit to them. It was hard to throw the ball so they had 11 guys and made it difficult for us to run it. They seemed liked they wanted it a little more than we did. But we got the win and now have to look forward to Delmar (Saturday, Oct. 10 at noon).”

The victory also extended Lake Forest’s unbeaten streak against Henlopen South opponents to 10 games. The last time it lost a South game was too Woodbridge on Oct. 14, 2013, a game that was also moved due to severe weather.

Staff writer Tim Mastro can be reached at or 741-8224.

Follow @TimMastroDSN on Twitter.

Facebook Comment